Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some help from archery elk hunters.

Old 07-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some help from archery elk hunters.

Iwantto switch over to a heavy arrow for elk hunting.
This is my set up: Darton Typhoon- Hard Cam bow,29.5-inch draw, peakdraw weight 72-pounds.
I would like mytotal arrow/broadhead weight around 550-grains. 600-grains would even be better. My arrows will be cut to 28-inches.

Thanks forthehelp,

Wolf Killer

Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Default RE: Need some help from archery elk hunters.

why would u want that? if u are looking for K.E. why don't u just use a baseball?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf,
I don't quite undersatnd the question.

Are you looking for equipment to make arrows that heavy or do you already have 550 gr arrows that you are using?

I would go with the heaviest aluminum arrows you can find,and 150 gr broadheads ,fleacth them with quick spins cause that adds more weight than standard fleches and that should get you close.

You should be doing great with the 550's though you should have enough penetration to go through heavy bone,plenty of KE's for elk.
BBJ
Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

BBJ,
I am looking for a arrow broadhead combonation that will bring me up to 550-grains or more. I have not talked to my local pro shop because he is on a light arrow kick. He thinks all bows owners should shoot over draws with light arrows. He told me this himself.

I need to buy new arrows SOON the season is getting close. I have just over a month to shoot the heavy arrows & get used to them.

Elkcrazy8 & Elknut1, are to blame for thisaddiction. I just want every little advantage I can get for elk hunting. Heavy arrows & heavy broadheads will give me the addedKE I am looking for.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf, weren't you useing 2219's? If not I would try them out. Tip them with a 125 grain broadhead or more and that will give you close to a 600 grain arrow totoal weight!. Out of my fury my arrows weigh615 grainwith a 125 grain broadhead.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

idahoelkinstructor,
Idid shoot2219's with my old bow. I sold myold bow with all of the arrows included in the deal.
I have been shooting light carbonarrows with my new bow.
Ifor some reason do not like carbon arrows? I guess I am too hard headed.
I will be switching back to XX78's. Unless you, elknut1 or elkcrazy8 talk me into a heavy carbon arrow?
Thanks for the advise Jason, I value your opinion.

Wolf Killer
Old 07-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot an easton xx78 2413. I have a 9 inch wrap and 3 ,4 in duravanes. I am shooting a 125 grain razorcap broadhead that is cut on contact. My arrow weight is around the 520-530 mark at around 29 inches. You can get close to that with a 60/75 carbon express terminator select also. I just like the aluminums as I can get a radical offset with a thicker arrow. The arrow wrap adds a little extra weight and helps the adhesion immensly with the super glue that I use. I went with a white to orange wrap and two white fletches with an orange cock vane. I should be able to see it for the entire flight and will have an good idea of the hit that I have on the elk. I hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:42 PM

wolf, if u shoot a 580 grain arrow at 228 fps. (witch would be about right for your set-up) u will have 60 inches of drop! that is 5 foot![:-] good luck with that!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Wolfkiller---I'm shooting carbons, they're called Cabelas Outfitter Series with buff tuff. They're 13.2 grains per inch. At 28" you would weigh 370grns. Now add aprox. 35 grains to that for insert, nock, & fletchings & you're at 405grns. Add a 125-150grn head and you're between 530-555grns. I'm at 545 with a 150grn Silver Flame COC head. Magnus stinger also has a 150 grn head as well as the razorcaps Chad mentioned! The arrows are 65.00 a doz at Cabelas!!

Don't worry about the drop at 50yds!! My setup is slower than most and I'm deadly as all get out to that distance. The arrow is there in a heartbeat!! Besides with the "Threat" in your arsenal you'll have those bulls on top of you!!! <grin>

Good Luck!!------------------ElkNut1
Old 07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally I am a carbon arrow guy. A bunch of reasons but toughness being the main one.

There are some good carbon arrows out there that will get you to at least 550 grains and depending on what you add to the arrow very close to 600 grains.

I really love the Carbon express Terminator select series of shafts. They are a super tough shaft that weigh in exscess of 10 grains per inch for the black shafts and the camo version weighs in at 12 grains per inch and I find these numbers to be on the conservative side.

With the camo terminators at 28 inches you got 336 grains add 30 for the nock and insert and you are up to 366 grains. Another 35 for 4 inch vanes and you got 401 grains. Add the broadhead of your choice and you are at least 525 grains and over 550 grains with a 150 - 170 grain head.

You could also go with 5 inch vanes for more weight or add an inch of shaft for another 12 grains. Add a vinyl cresting for another few grains (plus the added benefit of easy refletching). Use unibushings for an extra few grains plus the added benefit of better nock alignment. Heck you can even add the weight tubes inside the arrow for either 2 or 3 grains per inch increase in weight.

So all total you could end up with a carbon arrow that would potentially weigh in at a whopping 675+- grains if you wanted.

Quick Reply: Need some help from archery elk hunters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.