Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some help from archery elk hunters.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need some help from archery elk hunters.

manboy, I do not care how far the arrow drops. Speed only makes you miss quicker.
I want heavy (tree trunk) arrows in my quiver. Most of my shots will beunder 30-yards anyway.
I will lookat the Cabelas Outfitter Series arrow before I buy the XX-78's.
elknut1, I hope to put the "threat" to use this fall? I would love to kill a big bull. I will take a cow or raghorn if they come into range.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Wolf Killer--Take plenty of pictures!!! I just came in from shooting those Cabelas arrows, man they fly like darts with those 150grn heads. At 45 yds you could cover all 5 arrows with a CD disc, and the bow is very quiet!!! I guaranttee you an elk won't jump out of the way of it!!!!

Bigbulls---That's an interesting thought you mention about flethings themselves were 30grns! I was told by an archery dealer years ago that all 3, meaning inserts, nock, & 3-fletches would weigh 35 grains as a rule of thumb. If you're right, i'd be closer to 560-565grns. How sure are you? Thanks / ElkNut1
Old 07-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

elknut, it depends on the vanes that your are using. The 4 inch duravanes will be around 7 or 8grains I beleive. The 4 inch quick spins are around 12.5 grains. This is per vane. Sounds like you are shooting pretty good there elknut. What kind of release do you use???lol. I shot my broadheads for a while last night until we started having a couple of hydraulic sandwiches for dinner. Those razorcaps sure fly nice. I am headed in to elk camp on sunday and I feel that I am more ready than ever.....
Old 07-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Elkcrazy8--Thanks! I guess I am shooting closer to the 560 grn arrow, great!!!

That release you though was old and should be retired, (like me) works great. It's very smooth, a bit touchy, but I like that style!! --Thanks / ElkNut1
Old 07-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, you can turn the screw at the base of the trigger to set the release so it is not so touchy. I did have it set a little light. I am glad that it is working out for you. I have never been able to wear out a Scott release and have never had a malfunction with one either. That says alot with the amount of shooting that I do.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bigbulls---That's an interesting thought you mention about flethings themselves were 30grns! I was told by an archery dealer years ago that all 3, meaning inserts, nock, & 3-fletches would weigh 35 grains as a rule of thumb. If you're right, i'd be closer to 560-565grns. How sure are you? Thanks / ElkNut1
Yeah, a vane will weigh between 7 and 13 grains each depending on which ones you use then consider the glue weighs a little bit as well.

Typical inserts weigh about 13 grains each and add a couple grains for the glue here too.

Most people do not take into account the glue adding a bit of weight when guestemating finished arrow weight.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:47 PM

not a pro but speed i think would be better than weight.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PaRu

not a pro but speed i think would be better than weight.
I prefer weight to speed. Speed makesme miss quicker. Look at the K.E. gained if you use a heavy arrow. 99% of my shots will be under 30-yards. Knowing that my shots will be at close range.
IMHO Nothing could be better thana Heavy arrow/broadhead combo.

I shot heavy arrows with my old bow. I sold that bow with the arrows included. I bought a new bow withlight, slim & sexy arrows. The new light, slim & sexy arrows remind me of a high maintenance woman. They are a pain in the arse & they make too much noise.
I am going back towhat feels right.Easton 2219's XX-78's with 125-grain Muzzy heads.
The old 2219's are kind of like a low maintenance woman.They are not light, slimor sexy, & they don't make any extra noise.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should easily get up there in weight going with a heavier alum arrow, 2315, 2413 etc with a 125+ gr BH.

KE is not a very good indicator of penetration on big things, momentum is. Momentum is basically resistance to change. Besides a bow has basically fixed KE, changing arrow weight does not change the KE all that much, it does change momentum though.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I'm creeping toward favoring weight over speed as time goes on. I just switched to Easton ACCs, which bumped my arrow weight from 440 to 470 grain. And I gained 2 pounds of KE in the process. Seems like an efficiency thing for my bow or something, but I only lost 4 feet per second for the 30 grains of added weight.

Quick Reply: Need some help from archery elk hunters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.