Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

arrow wt. on elk?

Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow wt. on elk?

What is alluded to , but not really said is that a heavier arrow with the same "kinetic energy' value will outpenetrate the lighter arrow. Kinetic energy is simply a value derived by a mathmatical formula that squares the velocity. Therefore, it goes up dramatically when velocity goes up. I am sure that you could get a 100 grain arrow and a 500 grain arrow to both get 70 foot/lbs of energy, but the 500 grain arrow will outpenetrate the 100 gr.

Kinetic energy is a useful value, but is not the only thing that determines function of an arrow. Just ask the millions of buffalo that died to the 45-70. A big slow bullet that is unimpressive in foot lbs. Of course, an arrow doesn't kill like a bullet, but why is the 45-70 so deadly? Because it it a big slow bullet that penetrates.

Not saying that a 350 grain arrow is not adequate for elk. Lots of elk have fallen to light arrow. However, elknut is correct that a heavier arrow is more forgiving under hunting conditions and not so ideal shots because they will outpenetrate a light setup.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, you are correct. Heavy will penetrate better. Is 74 better than 72. With that energy, I would think minimal. I am way over kill anyway. If I was at the lower end of the elk spectrum, would I choose 54 over 52, no questions about it, I would opt for the heavier. Longbowmen and recurvers go with the heavier to squeek out every bit of KE that they can muster and this should be a deffinate consideration when it comes to arrow selection. I myself like to optimize every bit of KE, accuracy, and forgiveness. When it comes down to crunch time, I want to know that I am using the absolute most effective equipment that I can.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:06 PM

i still think a.270 will do the job fine!
Old 07-29-2005, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot right at 405 gr, with braodheads.the arrows are 27.5 inch Gold Tip"The Nudge" arrows.I'm shooting close to 285 FPS out of a Mathews Swithch back.

The reason I'm shooting these is for one they were on sale cheap and the other for some reason afterI refleatched them with Quick spins they fly absolutly great with 100 gr Stingers.I'm shooting 2 inch 3 shot groups out to 40 yds.I'm still getting coffe cup size groups out to 50 and 60.
I'm not changing my set up,it's to close to the season and I'm very confident in this set-up even if it is a little light.I can play with it afterI get my bull.
BBJ
Old 07-29-2005, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year I am trying lighter arrow myself, total weight is 480 grains,,,, well its light for me. In the past I have used heavy arrows with excellent results. I too agree with elkcrazy8 and elknut.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:01 PM

well i did some more research and i am not sure how to say this but.....i was WRONG!and what i did learn is a heavier arrow does hold it momentum better, my set-up 385gr. at 276 fps. lost 13.8% of its momentum at 70 yards.
a 501 gr.arrow at 245fps. out of same set-up, lost 10.59% at 70 yards.
and last a 580gr. arrow at 228fps. out of same set-up, lost only 8.76%
so yes a heavier arrow will retain it momentum better than a light arrow! AND THE 385=65K.E.,501=67K.E.,580=67K.E.
BUT WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW IS THE 580GR. ARROW WILL DROP -59" AT 40 YARDS[:-] THAT IS ALMOST 5 FOOT!
AND THE 385 ARROW WILL ONLY DROP -41, THAT IS 18" LESS!
SO IT DOES ALL COME DOWN TO HOW ACCUARTE YOU ARE WITH YOUR SET-UP! AND THAT ALSO MAKES A RANGE FINDER WORTH IT![]

I HOPE I DIDN'T SCARE ANY OF YOU WITH THIS INFO!!!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Manboy, no appology needed on this one. Your research went right in line with what I had spoke about with the 350 grain arrow vs the 400 arrow. My pin gaps did not change and it was directly related to the momentum that you spoke about. With this in mind I paid attention to my X count on the range and found that the heavier arrow was much more forgiving than the lighter one. It also showed me that with the increase of accuracy also came an increase of KE. I could optimize both by going with the heavy arrow without losing preformance. It proved to be a win win situation. Now the question is, would a 800 grain arrow be better. Most definately not. It would get to a point of deminishing returns with a 70 lb bow. With a 120 lb bow, maybe but not a 70 lb bow. An assocaite of mine just harvested and elephant and a hippo with an 800 grain arrow and 120 lb bow. Now that takes some penetration. I am glad that you did the research to find out for yourself. This is the understanding that one needs in orerder to gain total confidence in your equipment. With this in mind, you will have no question as to whether you are shooting the most effective equipment that you can muster, kudos for you on your research project.

As elknut preaches, use the threat method and your shots should all be under 20 yards anyway. I am capable of shooting an elk at 100 yards, but still have yet to take one over 20 yards.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:39 PM

thanks elkcrazy, now i just have to sale my 55/75 and buy some 75/95 and leave them at 30" and 125 heads.
ya elknut video's are great! i hope to use some of those ideas this year!
opens here sept.1st i am getting ready! thanks guys!!!!