Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Range Finders

Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Range Finders

I am in the process of looking for a good range finder, if anyone could give me the name of a few goodones that they use. I am looking at the bushnell yardage-pro right now. If anyone has had experineces with it or any other brands inuput would be greatly appreaciated.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range Finders

I own a Leica 1200, and I really like it. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:30 AM

Get the lecia for sure. The others have only had so-so reviews. I had the lecia 900 and it was outstanding. I now have the 10x42 geovid rangefinding binos. If you are going to depend on this tool to be accurate than you better be getting the best you can afford. Why get one than have to second guess if the yardage is right.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the Leica 1200. I've got ranges over 1200 yards(with the right target). Cheap rangefinders tend to be inaccurate a lot. I've tested a lot of them and Leica wins hands down.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:49 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the one thing I never understood about Leica rangefinders is they aren't waterproof or fogproof.

Regards,
Steve
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Bushnell Yardage Pro and I really like it. I've got the one that goes out to 800 yds.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a bushnell that says that it ranges out to 1000 but i think past 500 it has to be reflective to register. i would like one that had a bit more magnification than 6x. but so far it has served it's purpose. it's even better since i got it for free.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used my leica 1200 in rain and have never had any problems.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:50 PM

I bought a Bushnell 600 in 2000. It has ben to on four trips plus I never go into the woods in here MI. with out it. I have had no problems to date. My father has the yardage pro. He's be to Canada, Wyoming &Colorado 3x with it with no problems. Plus he's an everyday whitetail hunter here. I think the more $$ [:-]you spend the better rangefinder you will have.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:13 PM

I have had my 800yd Leica since 2000 and it is an AWESOME piece and I to have taken ranges in excess of 800 with it. I also have NEVER had a problem with water or fog and I use it YEAR ROUND with bow, muzzleloader, rifle and then spring turkey. I have even used it in the duckblind to take references (surprisingly most blindowners/serious duckers don't have one and deluge me with questions about "how much too that over there?" Or "how much too that farthest decoy" etc). I also have used the new Swarovski and they work GREAT also. I personally don't like the Bushnell models as they work fine in open areas and on large targets too maybe 400yds. It's the small targets and distances OVER 400yds that I think a person needs a rangefinder in the first place for!

My second pick is the new Nikon Monarch series. They work great as well but the Leica gets the nod for overall quality and those red readouts. Alot of folks don't realize that you can't see the black liquid crystal readouts of the cheaper finders under dark conditions. If a deer is on a treeline 400yds away and it is getting dark you will have trouble reading that black display.

Good luck,
RA

Quick Reply: Range Finders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.