Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting Tips for Pronghorns?

Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Tips for Pronghorns?

I shot a couple last fall and was a little concerned about how they were going to taste based on what I had read here. I worried for nothing !! They taste great. We hunted them on a cattle ranch that raised black angus beef. They grazed among the cattle so that is likely why they were pretty good eating. We also hunted the last 4 days of the season and had no problems cooling them down at all.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blue,
Maybe thats why you were not seeing any elk???

I've seen them calls on the wall at sportingood stores but never bought one.I'm shure pepole call them,the antelope rut starts around September,thats why decoying them with a bow is so efective.Antelope are curious creatures and come to investigate alot of things.One spring I was turkey hunting and was setup just on the edge of a timber rige and a wheat feild and there was a antelope buck standing out there.Every once in awhile I would stand up and sit back down after about 20 minutes this antelope walked up to me stopping every 20 yds or so to see what I was,he walked so close to me I could see his eye lashes.
BBJ
Old 07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

antelope calls work pretty well. heres a little recipe i like while calling.....

1-3 smallish to medium bucks you arent really gonna shoot regardless.

1 good antelope grunt call

a nearby hill or creek bottom, good enough to sneak undetected into 100 yards or so.

1 good case of nothing better to do at the time.

make yourself a little sneak to about that 100 yard range of the little bucks in question. suddenly jump up in plain sight, maybe even wave your hands, and blow the antelope grunt challange call. from my experience, the bucks wont run for a long time, usually minutes. they will stare, and snort, but not leave. if they start to go, challange them again with the call. it amazes me just how stupid they can be, seeing you and knowing full well you arent an antelope.......

i know i know, simple pleasures for simple minds....
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Colorado antelope hunting is anything like Montana antelope hunting? Find yourself a good place to hide/wait before opening day. Get there at least one hour before shooting time on opening morning & wait. You will have antelope walk/run by you not too long after the season opens.

Good Luck,

WK