Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Right shell for elk?

Old 07-13-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Right shell for elk?

First time elk hunter looking for opinions on the best shell to use on elk with my 300 win mag. I was thinking about using a 180 grain bullet, please let me know what you think!!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Right shell for elk?

A 180 gr. Barnes X, TBBC, Swift A-Frame, Nosler Partition, Winchester Fail Safe. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:14 AM

I have seen a nice bull shot with a 180 grain nosler partion, the elk was 165 yards and the bullet went straight through the high lung area never expanded from what I could see. Another bull was taken with a 30-06 (Encore)with Hornady light magnums with 165 grainSST bullets they did a very nice job & much better expansion. Both bulls never leftsight.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a big fan of the Ballistic Tip bullet which is the design/class of bulletas the SST smithbros mentioned. However Iwouldn't suggest it for elk in the 300 wm. IMHO BT's are better left for thin skinned animals such as deer.

I would suggest the same as handloader. You could also try Nosler Accubonds as well in 180 or 200 gr version. Elk are tough animalswhich warrant a bullet constructed to handle the task of getting through the thick hide, muscleand possibly bone to penetrate the vitals. Any of these bullets I would trust to get it done on a bull elk.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Smithbros.1

I have seen a nice bull shot with a 180 grain nosler partion, the elk was 165 yards and the bullet went straight through the high lung area never expanded from what I could see. Another bull was taken with a 30-06 (Encore)with Hornady light magnums with 165 grainSST bullets they did a very nice job & much better expansion. Both bulls never leftsight.
what are you basing your judgement that the bullet never expand on? If the bull never left your sight then I would say the partition done its job admirably. I've never had a nosler partition bullet fail, ever.

I would push some 200 grainers out of that 300 win. myself. I like the extra punch.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 AM

i would just save my shoulder and uae a 270...

. just kidding!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 PM

I'd use a 180 grain Nosler Accubond or Partition or a Remington 180 grain Scirocco.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a nosler not perfom,they have been my main stay for 10 years.I have tried diffrent bullets in dozen's of guns and calibers.Any of todays premium bullets will do the job.I've shot elk with balistic tips(not recomended),siccoros(sp) ,noslers,TBBC, woodleighs,SST's,Interlocks,Power-Points,core-loks,Swift-A Frame PMC's SP,and Barnes -X and out of all of those I like the in order.
1.Nosler partions
2.Barnes-X
3.Wood-leighs
4.TBBC
5.Swift A-frame
6.Siccoro's
Now this is my opion and not the gosspel truth,you realy need to find a bullet that shoot's well in your rifle.Then make your choice and 180-200 gr bullet out of the 300 Winny should do the job.
BBJ
Old 07-14-2005, 04:46 PM

I think that any 180 PREMIUM bullet will do the job. The reason I dont use larger bullets is that I use 180's for elk,deer,... everything no adjustments, resighting, ect....I know where that 180 X - bullet will hit everytime. If it's gonna be an elk ONLY rifle, consider the heavier bullets. Otherwise whatever premium bullet your rifle likes will do.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Thanksfor all the replies... Seems like the majority of you prefer the Barnes X or the Noslers. Doesn't really sound like I will go wrong with any of these 180 grains..... I will see what the local shops have to offer. Goos luck this year to all......

Quick Reply: Right shell for elk?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.