Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question For The Elk X-perts

Old 09-24-2002, 09:38 PM

Default RE: Question For The Elk X-perts

I had the same truble in Oregon to, HOT and to many people. I sat in some tree stands and what Elk I did get to see was at dark. We just have to face up to a bad archery season and say good luck to the gun hunters.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

As an elk guide/researcher I can tell you that the guys have given you some great advice. Still hunting in/near known bedding areas and feeding areas is the way to hunt elk when they won't respond to a call. Call maker Larry Jones tells me that peak rut in eastern Oregon should be Sept. 25-Oct. 5. If you were in eastern Oregon at that time you should have been there at the right time to hear bugling. But, my research shows that when it is hot (70+ degrees) the bulls often bugle less. That's when you rely more on looking than listening, and more on stalking and still-hunting than callng. You can also find a wallow and sit near it from 9-11 and 3-6 or 7. When it's hot bulls like to wallow to cool off. In fact, scientific research shows that because of their poor thermoregulation system (inability to cool off), they need to wallow to stay cool and healthy.
If you want to learn more stop by and see me on your way out next year (if you drive). I live 30 miles north of I-90, 45 miles south of I-94, and 40 miles form Cabela's in Owatonna, Minnesota.

T.R. Michels

T.R. Michels
Old 10-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't read every word of this thread . . . but my observation is that the fall season is at least one month late if not a little more. It has only been in the last two or three weeks, here in the Pacific Northwest, that the tree colors have finally started to change and quickly at that. I have heard that the elk are really active now. All I can do is wait for our late archery elk season opening November 20 . . . and hope that conditions and the anmimals are in a more normal pattern.

Bowhunter
Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

What'll really throw a wrench in yer gears is snow. When the elk ain't talkin', an' you try to still hunt the snow gets crunchy an' yer better off watchin' a food source (there won't be as many) all day. I prefer early season cause stalkin' is more realistic. Hate sittin'.

BJ