Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

wyoming antelope regions

Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default wyoming antelope regions

What is the best region for goats? What region is good for big goats? I would like to get a hunt going for 2006.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: wyoming antelope regions

Do you want to hunt public ground or private? Outfitted or D.I.Y.?

Exceptional antelope can be found in almost every region of WY. The best public areas are really tough to draw, and the best private ranches can be expensive. Your best bet is to decide what best fits your needs (budget, time, etc.) and then research from there.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 PM

rsb, I hunted last fall just outside of Buffalo, WY in the "Crazy Woman Creek" area along the Powder River. We flew into Sheridan, WY and then drove down too Buffalo. SHEEZUS H CHRIST the entire area is literally INFESTED with antelope. The airport in Sheridan is literally behind a gameproof fence to keep mulies, whitetails and antelope from getting onto the runways. They were standing all along the fences when we landed as if to welcome us. The hour drive too Buffalo was nearly dangerous because we kept watching the antelope instead of the road. I mean literally they were EVERYWHERE. At no time while hunting could we NOT see at least one group of antelope somewhere at somepoint.

We took upper 60s too mid 70 class antelope and saw a couple of bigger ones afterwards while chasing mulies (aint that typical?). The area is an easy draw and there is some BLM land but you better get REALLY good and up too date maps if you are goin without a guide. The hunt would also be GREAT for youngsters as it would keep their interest. I might take my oldest son (will be 10 in Oct) in a couple of years as his first trip out west. LOTS of animals with plenty of shot opportunities if you take your time and do it right.

One thing about WY, I saw a statistic that that said that nearly 30% of the total Antelope population in the country was in the state of WY. I also went too Cody, WY in April of lastyear (flew into MT and drove too Cody, WY) that drive had alot of antelope as well, not as many as around Sheridan/Buffalo, but quit a few none the less.

Good luck,
RA

ps
Email me if you want my outifitters information, he has put hunts on in that area for a long time and the hunting and guides were GREAT! [email protected]
Old 07-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

rsbcon - RedAllison is right about there being a lot of antelope in WY. Many of the units in the NE part of the state have tons of antelope, and some big ones too. These areas are easy to draw - most have leftover tags for this year - but have very little public land. If you call the Chamber of Commerce offices in Gillette, Buffalo, Casper, etc.they can give you lists of landowners that will allow you to hunt for a trespass fee. I hunted a ranch in the "Crazy Woman" uniton a trespass fee in 2002. Lots of antelope, but not many bucks much over 13". If you are interested in a hunt with lots of animals and lots of action this is a great hunt. There are so many antelope that you can literally chase them all day non-stop,but big bucks are very few and far between.

If you are interested in hunting trophy size goats you would be better off looking further south. Some of the units near Cheyenne have better bucks.Unit 47 "Shirley Basin" has some real trophies, but is a difficult draw. You might also look into some of the traditional trophyareas like the Red Desert areas.

Booking an outfitted hunt on a well managed ranch will make it easier to get a tag and be hunting good quality animals,but isn't a neccessity. Antelope are not difficult to hunt on your own, even for a first timer. That is what I meant by deciding on the type of hunt that best fitsyour needs. Any way you go, you cant go wrong. Antelope are great fun to hunt, and any mature buck makes a terrific trophy. They are srikingly beautiful animals, and make beautiful mounts. Take good optics and practice shooting from field positions out to 300 yards. Take your time and look oversome bucks before you pick one out. If you want to mount your buck DO NOT DRAG him after you shoot him. Their hair is very delicate and you can ruina cape by dragging even a fewyards. Also be prepared for the smell, they can be pretty stinky critters.

Ifyou haveany specific questionsthrow them out. I'm sure someone here can help out. If there is anything I can answer shoot me an email at [email protected]
Old 07-09-2005, 10:49 AM

If you hit the western side of the state, the areas that surround Kemmerer are awesome units. 93 is one of the best units in the state. I would rank them, 93, 94, 98 and 100 in order of quality bucks around Kemmerer. All of those units have a ton of public land and 15" antelope are very easy to find and take. DIY is very easy. If you decide to hit SW Wyo, let me know. I'd be happy to provide information, etc.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

HuntElk4Fun - You are absolutely right about the quality of those units, the problem is they are really tough for a non-resident to draw:

Unit 93 9.6% Regular 46% Special
" 94 13.9% "" 38% " "
" 98 14.6%" " 67% " "
" 100 8.96% " " 24%" "

How is the moisture in the SW this year? Have you heard anything about the conditions in the Bighorn Basin?
Old 07-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

You guys have some great information. Thanks for all the replys. I'm wanting an area with some good size goats, that not too hard to draw."if that is possible" I would like tohunt a landowner with a tresspass fee.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:58 AM

RuRu- Yes, odds are tough, but if your after big goats those are quality units. I would save the landowner fee and apply it to the special permit pricing to bring your odds up. Keep in mind, Wyoming is going to a preference point system next year as well.

I grew up in Kemmerer and it was not hard at all to take a 16" antelope (area 93) if you hunted hard. You could shoot a 15" opening morning and be home to watch the morning news!

We ended up bowhunting them to get ready for the Muley/Elk hunts in Sept. Fun to chase with a bow and very challenging.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:08 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntElk4Fun

If you hit the western side of the state, the areas that surround Kemmerer are awesome units. 93 is one of the best units in the state. I would rank them, 93, 94, 98 and 100 in order of quality bucks around Kemmerer. All of those units have a ton of public land and 15" antelope are very easy to find and take. DIY is very easy. If you decide to hit SW Wyo, let me know. I'd be happy to provide information, etc.
Oh man, I'm psyched. I just checked online and I drew a non-resident tag for unit 93 this fall!

This will be my first pronghorn hunt and will be semi-DIY (I met a guy from the area on a hunt last year who is giving me some assistance...not exactly sure how much yet). Any info you can share would great.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: RuRu12
Have you heard anything about the conditions in the Bighorn Basin?
RuRu
On the west side of the basin we've got more moisture than we've had for years. Some of the lakes that were drained for irragation in the last couple of years are now full.

Everything is green so it might be a good year for horns.

Quick Reply: wyoming antelope regions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.