Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

Old 07-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

Howdy. I hunt area 68, which is about 60 or so miles south and a tad east of Gunnison. We pass through the Gunnison and also the Rio Grande Natl. Forests enroute to our camp, which is at 10,250 feet. Actually do most of our hunting in the La Garita Wilderness. The dominant terrain features in 68 are Sheep Mtn, 12,085 feet and Mesa Mtn, a lick shy of 13,000.

There are a lot of decent tips noted above in the thread on “Tips.” I would also highly recommend two of Jim Zumbo’s books, Calling all Elk and Hunt Elk. Both can be found on Amazon. Zumbo is one of America’s foremost experts on elk. He’s a former wildlife biologist and has been hunting in the West for over 40 years. He writes extensively on elk and deer hunting. These books will give you a one stop investment in some very good information with a lot of how to included.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Default RE: Need help for Colorado elk hunt..

I agree, get up high and glass early. Hunt the wallows and water holes later in the day if it is warm. Learn how th cow call. That is an important part of stalking in my opinion. Cow calling can calm an edgy elk if you are making any noise and might just trigger an elk call from the real thing. At any rate, just hunt, enjoy the view, have a good time. Hope you get to witness all the bugling bulls, that always gets the heart jump started. Good luck.