Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scouting with maps

Old 07-06-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Scouting with maps

I will bebowhunting elk for the first time in NewMexico in September, and I've been looking at various topo maps and satelite imagery online to get an idea of what the area's like. The problem is I really don't know what to look for.What are some key things that you try to find when scouting land for elk? Cover? Water? Ideal elevation changes?Food sources? I won't be able to physically pre-scout before we arrive, and I'd really like to find a couple of good areas before hand. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Scouting with maps

When scouting from maps, the first thing to look at is the roads. Next look for drainages, draws, ridges, canyons, saddles, etc between the roads. What you are looking for are areas you can drive to and then walk in and get away from the pressure. These "holes" are where pressured animals seek out. Elk are very smart and very sensitve to disturbance (i.e. traffic on roads). Many times hunters will hunt areas that they can only see from the road. With your scouting with maps ahead of time, you already know what is on the other side of the hill.

Next, look at the aeral photos and try tofind hidden meadows or clearnigs. Meadows next to travel corridors like saddles, draws, and rigdes are good spots to look for.

Another thing to look at is elevation or contour lines on the topo map. Many times you will find an area on the map that looks good to hunt, but the elevation is too steep to make a reasonalble hunt out of it. But, of course, if you are a mountain goat (or an elk...LOL) these are just the spots to look for.

Hope this helps you out!

Blue Moose
Old 07-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bill,
When looking at topo's and see all those lines in various places you will see elevation and elevation changes.The closer the lines are together the steeper the terain.Look to see where they go up and down,you usaly can tell whats down cause there is usaly a crick at the bottom.
Mountains and plataues are pretty easy to figure out,you will see them on the map,places with lines realy far apart usaly mean a flat spot.
Break a area down to like 10 sq mile and look at airial photos,this way you can see if the flats are meadows or timbered flats,or if a mountain is bald or has timber,Timbered plataues are nice places where elk have escape routes into drainiges down hill.Look for water,food,cover securitie,escape and how easy it is to get there.
BBJ
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM

if you need some good maps try
www.jdmcox.com
its got topo and aeiral maps, also to get an idea about elevations and what not try
www.googleearth.com
it shows the world in 3d, both sites are free, the reason i suggest the first one,, it can be used with your gps, if you use one. if you try it out , know the corridinates for your area if you can.