Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

Old 07-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Thinking about hunting elk for first time...

No PM showed up???
Old 07-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Hey Tuff,

I just got back today from a hiking trip in the San Juan National Forest, just north of Pagosa Springs by Williams Lake. I saw 30-40 elk, most in clusters of 3-6 and tons ofmulies. I also saw some good bulls. I've never hunted elk either and don't have any friends that have any serious interest in making a trip there. I picked up some brochures form the State of Colorado while I was there, and will be reading through them in the next couple of days. PM me if you have any questions or you guys need another hunter to spread gas costs or just help locate the elk. I'm dying to go!

PS -- fancy seeing you on this forum, haven't visited TBH in a while.

Will
Old 07-08-2005, 06:35 AM

Tuffbroadhead,
My computer keeps blocking PM from going out or coming in. I tried to send you an email, but it said it is still waiting. I just sent you another email.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Stinkbelly, heres a email address for you, [email protected]

Texashunter, things are always busy at TBH, I will be talking to Steve in the next couple of days, we will try to firm up the plan a bit

Can you get mule deer tags over the counter for archery season??
Old 07-08-2005, 08:19 PM
usa
Fork Horn

I've hunted the Pagosa area for about 10 yrs, always on public land and have harvested4 bull's and a few deer. north of Pagosa up towards Williams lake seems much more productive than south of Pagosa in my opinion.Theres a resident herd that stays in the area all year but my hunting has always tried to be timed with the migration. If your buddies haven't seen an elk then theres something drasticlly wrong with their hunting plan or lack of a hunting plan.If you decide to go I'll share my info with [email protected]
Old 07-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Spike

Tuffbroadhead,

If you have the opportunity for an archery elk hunt around Pagosa, you should go and catch the fever that keeps the rest of us on the verge of divorce and bankruptcy. Now, for my opinion on things said andthings thus far left unsaid (that along with about $3.50 will get you a bad cup of coffee at Starbucks):

1. If this is to be your first elk hunt, don't waste time on half-measures. Don't just run the video camera or buy a cow tag. An either sex archery tag is only an extra $235.00. Considering the amount of money you will spend on the trip, this amount is relatively small, and has the potential to yield big rewards.

2. I don't know where your friends have been hunting, but Blue Moose is correct. Most of the land south of Pagosa is either private or reservation. There is some national forest southeast of Pagosa, but (again, my opinion) the better hunting is north of Pagosa. No disrespect to your friends, but if they haven't seen an elk in two years they probablyneed to reevaluate how they are hunting, not where, and drag out of camp earlier, hunt higher and hunt away from the roads. This means a lot of walking, so make sure you are in relatively good shape. Another note, since you won't know the area, if you don't have a GPS, get one and learn how to use it. The less time you spend being lost, the more time you spend hunting.

3. There are no over-the-counter deer tags in Colorado, and I doubt that there will be any leftover deer tags.

4. I agree with USA, the area around Williams Lakes is generally quite productive. One reason for this is that Williams Lakes are just south of the border with GMU 76, a limited draw, quality management unit.

I've been too long winded, but hope the info helps. Feel free to drop me an email.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

No elk in two years!! Can't you read between the lines???? They're just being nice, they don't really want you to go!!! -------ElkNut1