Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Well its time for me to get serious!

Old 06-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well its time for me to get serious!

300winnie

titleAndStar(39,0,0,false,"","")
Fawn

[align=center][/align]
Hey, Idahoelkinstructor there is no use worrying about elk calling and all of that jazz. You won't be able to hunt elk during the peak of the rut with a bow...you will be doing something else Better check the Idaho draw results.[8D] [align=right]
[/align]
Cool antelope doesn't open until the 25 of Sept, sothat gives me plenty of time to kill a elk with my bow!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jay I should add that we have a month to kill our lopes, for me to give up elk hunting inSeptember with bow no way!. Don't worry though I'll still go with you on opening day or days. Be ready for hiking!. I am not sure about the others in party, will they be up to it?[:-]
Old 06-30-2005, 02:15 PM

Little buck will be. The rest, I don't know about that[8D]
Old 07-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got back home, I did get to spend a few hours this moring with Al Moris. All I can say is what a great unselfish guy. He gaveme plenty of advice for this next week competition. I just hope I can or am good enough to perform what he taught me, time will tell, but I do have a final week to practice and prepare.Jason
Old 07-11-2005, 10:21 AM

Hey Jason!

How'd it go? How did you do?Do you have the results from the Idaho Falls bugling contest?

Thanks,
Corey
Old 07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corey,
Well it didn't go the best for me. I am still in shock and a bit hurt to be honest. I am not saying I should have won, but I didn't make the cut and go on to the top 5 and I am not sure why. Before the results were announced Big Al who was there and heard me said I did go fast (just 5 minutes before the mens division started Wayne annouced that the men would only have 30 seconds for cows and 30 seconds for bulls. That did throw me for a bit of a loop, and I admit I didn't give my best program because I practiced my butt offand was ready for a 2 minute program.)Al then told me, "You'll do better tomorow because I know you won't be caught off gurd and you can learn from today." But still I did do a good job overall. Well, at least I and two of the judges thought so. The winning score for round 1 was a 88, 5 place was 82, I scored a 80. Judge #1 gave me a 30, judge #3 gave me a 32 and judge #2 gave me a 18. I don't know what he was looking for but, I guess he didn't like what he heard from me. There was 24 men in the contest Idrew # 15 to call. Ithink that out of the 5 that qualified for the finals none were after the 10th caller. The man who won the contest is from Eagle, Id. and it was his first contest ever.I'll try and find the names and post them here.Al also told me to not loose any sleep over it and move on to the next contest, and that judges can sometimes suck. Again I am not saying I shoud have won but I feel like I should have placed in the top 5. Oh well thats life and I still did have a fun time and I also learned a lot as well. I will try again in 2 weeks, in Montaina. I'll do my best and lay my cards on the table and see how it stacks up from there. I did make sure that I supported the top 5 who went on and even offered my bugle tube to a few of them it is a wiffle ball bat type set up like Dan Whitmus's tubebut with your tube tamer on it. Anyway all of them had a bite an blow type tube/reed, like yours or the type like Primos and Berry's. A few can't remember who also had a regular tube like the carlton with a diaphram, in addition to their other bite and blow tubes. Moving on, I was wondering if I could maybe call you and pick your brain about contests? If of course that is ok with you, and I hope I am not oversteping my grounds by asking so. Take care and maybe we can meet up in the furture.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:34 PM

Hey Jason!

Sorry to hear the news on the bugling contest. If it makes you feel any better, until 2 years ago, there was a streak of6 consecutive years that the person who won the professional division at the RMEF world championships didn't make the finals the following year...

You have to always remember that this is a contest that is subjective to human ears. Especially at the smaller contests, the judges all have different ideas of what an elk sounds like. One judge might not have gotten any sleep the night before and can't concentrate. By the time they get to caller #4, they have forgot what caller #1 even sounded like, making it impossible to make a qualified comparison between the two. I have never been in a contest where I could honestly say I agree 100% with who the judges pick for the top 5. Imagine at the world championship when there are literally 75+ callers that the judges have to listen to, for 2 minutes each. They can't possibly compare the first guy to the last guy. You just have to remember it is a subjective contest, and anybody has a chance. Once you make it into the top 5, it gets a little better, as it is somewhat easier to compare all 5 callers against each other. But once again, it is subjective. Experience makes a big difference. I'm not really sure why, but I know several guys who can call great who went to the RMEF contest for their first time and finished near the bottom. Within 3-4 years, these guys have won the men's division of the world championships. It's not that they improved drastically, they just tune in on what the judges are looking for, etc. Don't give up! I know exactly how you feel. You feel robbed, you practiced a ton, and some guy who doesn't sound very good to you made it into the finals. Next time, someone else will be sitting on the sidelines, and you can bet that they will think they should have beat you.

It's not like an archery shoot, where if you're on, you win. If you practice and shoot your best, you have a great chance of winning. With bugling, you can do it the way that you think is just perfect, everyone will come up and tell you that you have it in the bag, and your heart will sink when they don't read your name on the top 5 list. All you can do is shake it off, practice some more, and go to the next one. Walt Ramage (Primos) didn't make the finals in 2004. He won the professional division in 2005. I believe that 6 out of 7 years dating back to 1997, the guy who won the professional division didn't make the finals the next year. In fact, from 1997 to 2002, no one won the professional division more than once, and there has never been a caller win the professional division back-to-back. That should shed a little light on just how subjective it really is! The key is to be consistant. Pick up on the little things that the guys who are consistantly in the top 5 are doing. It'll come to you in time.

Fell free to give me a call any time, I'd gladly help out with any info I might have. E-mail me at [email protected], and I'll give you my number. Don't be discouraged. Are you going to the ISB shoot this weekend? They usually have a calling contest up there on Friday night.

By the way, do you know who the top 5 in the pro division were?

Take care,
Corey
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Jason, are you going to Stanley? I have been waiting fora call on camping directions. I will be heading up thursday night and plan on getting some photos of the elk with my long range camera. I will be staying until sunday morning. My daughters are leaving for home tonight after 3 weeks with old dad and I should be home sulking :-(
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corey,
You'll get to know me. For the good or for the bad!! I'm Jason's wife. Of course, most would say that I am biased, and maybe I am. But even from the comments from the other competitors, Jason very easily should have been in the top 5 (and of course in my opinion, the 1st place winner!!)!!! The man who actually won the men's competition came to the finals and when he found out that Jason wasn't in the top 5 he said, " I practiced ALL night because I thought that I was going up against you for the finals! " Many of the people in the audience said they were surprised that he wasn't in the finals as well. Thanks for your kind and wise words to Jason. When none of us knew what to say, you did and it was just what he needed to hear. I am hoping that you and Jason are able to become good friends. I know that he looks up to you and Paul, Al and of course Michael. He is very humbled to be able to count these other menas his friends. Jason is a great guy with great ambitions and I will do whatever I can to help him realize his dreams. You don't know what it means to me to be able to see peace on his face after such a hard and disappointing fall. Again, I thank you for giving him that peace. Good luck in all you do and I'm sure you'll hear more from Jason, and probably me, too!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Jason------The calling comps are a challenge and can be great fun, there's no doubt, and all want to be winners!! But you have no reason to hang your head, that's for sure!! You've got a great family, and a great supportive wife!! How many wives would come on a public forum and state the things yours did. (Hikchick) Mine wouldn't!!

We've talked a time or two, and you're a winner my friend!! I'm serious too!! I've seen the efforts of your practice with awesome results! Like Corey, says, be patient, give it time, learn what the other top callers are saying, (calling) and doing to keep popping up to the top the way they do. You have the ability to be at the top, and you will. Mark my words, if you continue on with the desire you have along with your talents, there's no stopping you! I've heard you call, I've heard many of the top guys call, you're right there with them & you're getting better all the time! Good Luck, and feel free to pick my brain anytime!! There's no doubt Corey can be a tremendous asset to you, defenitely pick his brain!!! <grin>
ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Well its time for me to get serious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.