Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What size pack do you use on a backpack hunt?

Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM

Default What size pack do you use on a backpack hunt?

I am trying to decide on a new pack for backpack hunting. I currently use a 7000 in3 pack and wanted a smaller lighter one.What size does everyone use and how many days can you live out of it? We pack in for 5-7 days usually.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What size pack do you use on a backpack hunt?

I use the Cabelas Alaskan frame pack. I'm not sure of the cubic space, but believe it to be around 5000. I use it for a week at a time and it has been great. The frame is also very sturdy as it supports a large load of that delicious elk meat. The bigger the pack the more unnessary items you will put in it as I'm sure you know. This pack is also very comfortable, as I have pack 3-4 miles with a 80lb load with no problems.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

I should think you could make 5-7 days with a pack in the 5,000 cu. in. range, give or take. I have a Gregory pack that runs something over 6,000, and it'll handle gearfor a hunting trip of 7-10 days.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM

I also use the Cabela's Alaskan frame pack. It is around 5000 cu. and I agree with BGHUNTEROO, you do tend to pack unecessery stuff, but the pack is very comfy and I used it on a 4 day pack in last year in Co and was very satisfied with it. Especially the built in rifle holder.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I asked a few of my girl freinds.. they all said bigger is better..
It is all in the hips ya know..
And all were quite content with it being 3 in one..
Light is good...Waterproof is a must..And nothing that glows in the dark....
Best part 1 size fits all..
All joking aside I vouche for the Cabelas Alaskan..
Its a comfortable fit, holds alot of weight,sturdy framework.and most importantly keeps everything dry..

Old 06-22-2005, 10:26 PM

Tried about everything and we pack all the time, both gear and meat. Dwight Schuh packs are amazing IMO. Personally think they have the edge of the Cabelas Alaska models for the pure versatility, etc. They are basically 5 in 1 packs with modular pieces around an awesome frame. Look into them if you get a chance. Great pack!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 AM

You are all talking about external frame packs. We have been using internal frame packs. The only difference is that you have a pack frame and I have to put the animal parts inside my pack. The alaskan pack is near 12 pounds where my current internal pack in only 6 pounds. Can you think of any other advantages to having an external frame pack? I was hoping on going smaller and lighter. I hoped you all would tell me you can do it with a 4500 in3 pack for 7 days.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Spike

I tried several packs out last year for backpack hunting and ended up liking my Gregory Whitney the best. I have the Cabelas pack and its ok but you give up so much weight on the front end that it just didn't seem worth it. It has lots of cool compartments and the gun carrier was nice but the belt wouldn't sinch down small enough to move an adequate amount of weight from my shoulders to hips and that thing wore me out. If you need a frame Kelty came out with a great little pack frame that weighs almost nothing and I lash it to the outside of my pack. The two are still much lighter than the cabelas guide series pack.
I love cabelas products and satisfaction guarantee but in this case it wasn't the pack for me.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Stink:

I have used the Cabelas Alaskan model for severalyears with excellent results. I think the capacity is 5300 cubic in. I carry about 80 pounds and have never had problems, I go in about 7 miles for a week, to about 11,500'. I have always used an internal frame for "backpacking", but would not consider one for hunting. The gun carrier is great and the frame very durable, hence the 12 lbs.I also appreciate the integrated "water bag" with mouthpiece so you don't have to fumble with nalgene bottles/canteens while moving. Lastly, when hauling meat, the pack (sans frame) has built in straps and "becomes" its own internal that is surprisingly comfortable.

Good luck.
CE
Old 06-23-2005, 06:51 PM

I've got a small pack from Walmart (it's the only place to shop where I live) - it works good. For packing meat out I've got a large packframe, it holds a 1/4 of an elk.

Quick Reply: What size pack do you use on a backpack hunt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.