Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Animals

Old 06-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Big Game Animals

I was day dreaming about all the states that have alot of big game to hunt and got curious. In my state of Michigan we have Deer,bear,elk and turkey if you consider them big game. Bear,elk and turkey are all by drawing only. Depending on what hunt and in what unit you apply for it may take a few years to get drawn for bear and turkey. Elk on the other hand you may apply and never get drawn . Elk are a once in a life time draw,meaning if you get drawn you can not apply again no matter if you are successful or not. Bear, depending on what unit can be 5 or more years.They use a preference point system,every year you apply and don't get drawn you get a point. I got my bear permit in my second draw . So my question is:1 how many different big game animals do you have avalible to hunt and:2. Whats the application process like? Or is it over the counter?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Game Animals

In utah we have mule deer, elk, moose, bison, rocky mountain goat, desert and rocky mountain bighorn, antelope, black bear, cougar, and turkey. all of which are on a lottery draw system. moose, sheep, goat, bison are all once in a lifetime. for elk deer and antelope there is a limited entry and a general. for limited entry elk you wait 10-20 years, deer 3-15 depending where, and I have no idea with the antelope.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mountain Goat, desert sheep, Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep, moose, mountain lion, pronghorn, elk, mule deer, whitetail deer, and black bear. Most of these are on a drawing for a permit bases, how ever, there are some over the counter tags, more for archery than rifle of black powder. The sheep, goat, and moose are very hard tags to get drawn for!
Also got turkey, but they aren't in the "big game" class around here!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

muleys, whitetails, elk, moose, antelope, black bear, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, mountain lion, bison, and turkey here. the sheep, moose, bison, and mountain goat are by drawing only. the deer, antelope, elk black bear and cat are otc or drawing, depending on area. turkey can be both too.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have everything except Bear in SD and ND. Sorry we have moose in ND but not SD.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:32 PM

We have black bear, brown bear, grizzly bear, polor bear, sitka deer, elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, moutain goat, Dall sheep, a few Fannin sheep, harbor seals, walrus, and musk ox. Polor bear, walrus, and harbor seals can only be hunted by the natives. The rest are either draw as a simple lottery (we have no preference points) or over the counter. There is aslo someting up here called subsistence hunting that gives priority to rural people off of the road system
Old 06-11-2005, 07:54 AM

You guys make me jealous, we have Whitetails running around like Rabbits, a few Bears and Turkeys. Oh and in the south western part of the state we have some Elk migrating in from the newly introduced Kentucky herd and they can be shot and checked in on a Whitetail tag. Mostly people on private property take em. Game Dept. doesn't want them here they are afraid of spreading disease??? at least that is what I've heard.

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Virginia.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer, antelope, elk, mountain goat, desert, california, and rockymountain bighorn, and mountain lion. We also have a few bears in the western part, which aren't hunted, and a few turkeys. Everything is by draw except for mountain lion. 2 per year unless the harvest objective is filled. Deer, cow elk, and archery antelope can be obtained every year. If you harvest the antelope, you have to wait 5 years before applying again. Rifle antelope, you have to wait 5 years before applying if you draw. Bull elk, and sheep, you have to wait 5 years if you draw, and 10 if you get one before you can apply again. Mt goat is once in a lifetime draw.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

Alberta Canada:
White-tail deer,
Mule deer,
Moose'
Elk,
Antelope,
Bighorn Sheep,
Mountain Goat,
Black Bear,
Grizzly Bear,
Cougar,
Wolf,
Turkey
(coyote) (Caribou are no longer in huntable numbers here)

Damn! I guy hardley can find time to go fishing with all this hunting avalible.

Robin
Old 06-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Pa we have Whitetail, black bear, and elk. Elk are drawing but you probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning. As far as whitetail, they are all over the counter but you have to mail in your app for does. Black bear are also over the counter and we have a pretty big population with some monsters going over 800 pounds.