Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

So What was your toughest hunt?

Old 06-08-2005, 10:15 AM

Default RE: So What was your toughest hunt?

Datamax:
Is the hypoglycemia a condition you are disposed to (for instance, as being a diabetic?) or is anyone subject to this condition if they overdo as you may have on that day? I ask so I can be forwarned if need be.
I'm not diabetic , I simply didn't eat hardly anything and drove my blood sugar down very, very low. Coupled with dehydration ....... not a good thing !

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

I had the fasting type of hypoclycemia, but the thing was, I ws going balls to the wall on that hike, and I believe I actually hit the "runners high" at about 3 pm that day. The reason I say this is I has butt chafing really, REALLY bad that day and it was very painful. At about 3 pm it kinda went away. The last 100 yards of our hike was up a hill, and I literally ran up that hill, kinda poking fun at my buddies on how great shape I was in, and how great I was feeling.

20-30 minutes later I was semi-conscious in the passenger seat of a vehicle, eyes rolling back in my head and hands curling like a cripple. Bad, bad deal, even looking back now.

So I think I pushed so hard that day that I hit that runners high, and that release of endorphins or whatever kept me going all the way through to the finish line for me - our truck. When I stopped ........ so did the rush, the high I was on, and my body quickly started to crash and burn.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Default RE: So What was your toughest hunt?

My toughest hunt was actually bird hunting. I was about 1 mile in from a road by myself grouse hunting in central NH and my dog and I were working some small pine/juniper growth along a beaver pond in December. The pond was frozen over and my dog flushed a bird that flew across the pond where I took it and it skidded to a stop about 30 yards out. She took off over the ice and grabbed it and just as she spun around to return she went through. The ice was to thick to crack and she couldn't get on top.. and she also wouldn't let go of the grouse. For 10 minutes she kept trying to get out and was having no luck, still with the grouse in her mouth. The fear in her eyes was apparent, but she trusted me to figure something out. I started a fire in a blow down as quickly as I could ... then stripped down to nothing except drawers and broke through/swam to help her. By the time I got to her my limbs felt like noodles and the bottom was so thick with mud that I couldn't push up from it to get to the surface well. I made a broken ice path to her.. and I'm not sure I could have made it back, but I grabbed onto her collar and she pulled me in even after 20 minutes in the water. We both crawled to the fire which I thankfully had built first as I would never have been able to light it after. About an hour later I started to feel my limbs again. That was the toughest mile walk I ever did.

Cool thing.. she never released the grouse! We ate it together over the fire as I thought something warm inside would help.

We don't hunt pond edges once they freeze over now.