Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Envy~!!!

Old 06-06-2005, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Envy~!!!

I've said this before and I'll say it again, and probably shouldn't because I've had one to many canadian mist and coke this afternoon. But, I sometimes wonder how many of you that live out west or have the funds to go out there big game hunting realize what a priviliedge you have.

I got to go mule deer hunting 2 years ago in Co and want to go back elk hunting this year. Well because of sickness and deaths in our family, everything has been put on hold. This year, my son, son-in-law, and a good fiend said they would go with me, but I haven't heard a word from them. Today I got on the phone and called them and told them I needed a decicision. Everyone is backwalking and I have made up my mind that I'm going, if I have to go by myself.

I probably won't kill a bull elk, but I'm going, and may have to hunt a day and rest a day, but I'm going and I hope that I will not get in anyones' way. So move over you lucky ones, a south Georgia redneck is on his way and hope to meet some of you in the woods.

Hunting alone, and not regretful. Got to go, don't know how many years I have left, based on my family history. Between now and my trip, I'll probably be calling on some of you for info and hope that you will help a dummy to Western hunting.

Just some ranting and begging because I'm tired of the ones that say they will go, but won't follow thru. I'm gonna do it even if by myself.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 06-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Envy~!!!

For a guy drinking whiskey & coke you sure don't slurr your words none!!! <grin>

You hunting with rifle or bow?--------------------------ElkNut1
Old 06-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like liquid vitamins too!!! Do you have a location in mind yet????
Old 06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

Elknut1 and Elkcrazy8,

Right now I can't (just woke up, 1 a.m.) remember a unit recommended by a fellow hunter that's on this board. Several months back I was asking questions about elk hunting, units, etc. and a gentleman sent me a message about an area he backpacks into each year. I told him I was sure I couldn't hike that far a distance and he told me that I could camp at a trail head and hunt out of there. He also said he only saw or heard one other hunter during his camp/hunt and that he would be glad to help me. He also said he lived close to this unit. He told me to contact him when I got ready to go.

I printed his message and put it in my notebook, will have to find it so I can contact him. However, if y'all have a recommendation I would appreciate any guidance.

By the way, I called my son in law (before going to sleep on the couch) and he said he wanted to go, but was concerned about the money. I told him to put my daughter on the phone and I would get permission for him. She gave him a green light, no excuses now. So now I've got to get serious about this hunt.

I do know this, I will be going the second rifle season because it's the longest, or was the last time I looked at the seasons' on DOW. I plan on camping. Two years ago I bought clothes to hunt out west, wool, etc. and you might know, when I got to Co. it stayed in the high 80's to low 90's the whole week, I actually got sunburned, couldn't believe it was so hot that time of the year out there. Anyway, I've got the clothes, boots, etc., and truck loads of camping equipment, just got to sort it out for what I need out there.

The only thing I have left to do is decide on the unit, order maps and then work up some loads for my 300 Win Mag and 30-06. I took these two rifles with me mule deer hunting and have alot of loads for them (165 grn), but want to load some 180 grns for elk, at least that's what I've been reading about to use.

I also bow hunt, but not good enough past 30 yds to feel confident on a bow hunt for elk. Hope to be ready for a bow hunt next year, just don't have long shots here in Ga. on whitetails, so have never practiced beyond 30 yds, mostly 20 yds.

I know I'm rambling, but would really appreciate any assistance.

Thank You,
dog1
Old 06-07-2005, 12:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed a good many elk with the bow and all of them have been under 20 yards. Hunting the rut has to be some of the most exciting hunting that I have ever done. The elk will let you know where they are at in September. Elknut knows more about rifle hunting them than I do. I have never killed one with a rifle. As a matter of fact, I have never really hunted them with a rifle.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Typical Buck

Elkcrazy8,

What poundage do you shoot? My bow is 20 + yrs old and I had it checked recently at an Archery shop, it was set on 58 lbs.

The reason I was more interested in a rifle hunt is because my son-in-law dosen't bow hunt (been trying to convert him for years). Also, I can buy an over the counter license for the second rifle season, or you could the last time I checked the Co regs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you also by OTC license for archery in Co.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 AM

dog1 you and I live the same dream I am in Va. and have always dreamed of hunting in the west I have shot more whitetails than you could shake a stick at but it just dosn't do it for me. I started my quest when I got divorced 3 years ago and found out how much money my ex was spending on "I Don'T KNOW". I have been on 2 bear hunts, 1 lion hunt in Montana and a Sea Duck hunt in Mass. I am currently planning a trip to BC where these guys on this site have helped me with. I planned on all my trips by myself because I didn't want to have to worry whether someone was having a good time or not, I go by myself! So plan your trip don't worry about anyone else and have a drink for me. GOOD LUCK.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:57 AM

Go get 'em bulldog. Don't take no for an answer. You'll love it I promise.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I see it, you didn't put in for the drawing, so you are looking at going the second rifle season or later with a gun. At that point, unless the weather/snow forces the elk to come out and play, it can be very hard to locate them, especially on your first time in the area. If you get some decent snow, then you may do well. However, you have to remember that at least 3 elk seasons have taken place before then (archery, muzzleloading, and 1st rifle elk). If you get warm, dry weather, you may be for a lot of elkless days.

I know the odds would be long on a bowhunt, but you can buy the tag OTC in MOST areas (not all) and you will be in the mountains when the aspen trees are golden and the elk are singing. Can't beat it. I guarantee you that if you see/hear some bugling bulls, even if you don't get a shot, the trip will be worth it. Might give it some consideration.

What unit did you go mule deer hunting in? Since you already know that area, maybe someone with knowledge of that area can tell you if it is worth your while to hunt elk there.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 PM

dog1,

** Second Rifle Elk Season:
I'd recommend the FIRST elk rifle season here in Colorado. In my area, the elk don't get all that worked up about being hassled by the bow hunters and the muzzleloaders because the state keeps those permits (at least in my area, GMU 4) pretty well limited so the elk are still pretty "easy going" at that point. HOWEVER, after the first rifle season, after "the 3rd Army" (including us) have invaded, taken over their territory, and shot the hell out of them, they get wised up real good. They will be flat out scarce come the second season and there is only a whopping two days between the two seasons for them to cool off a bit --- it don't happen. IMHO, the elk will not become "vulnerable" again after the first rifle elk season until the later snows drive them into migration (typically NOT during the second rifle season).

BTW, you can hunt deer anytime at home. An old saying says, "a hunter of elephants does not stop to shoot birds", if you really want elk, skip the deer and hunt the elk --- faithfully. (There is no deer season in the first rifle elk season.)

** Longer Season:
The first season is 5 days long and especially if your health isn't stellar, then I guarantee that you will have had all the fun you can stand by the end of day #5. I'd recommend you take the extra couple of days you would have spent "hunting" (maybe) in the second season and add them to the front end of the first season and use it for acclimating and scouting and figuring just where you are going to be the opening morning 1 hour BEFORE sunrise --- you have to be able to find your way around in the dark.

**Leftover Tag Draw:
This takes place in Colorado on August 9th. For the most part it is cow tags only -- if you want group success I'd recommend that you focus on cows, especially for a first time do it your self, not 25 years old anymore hunt. IMHO, come the last day of the season, the hunter with a cow (or even a calf) stands taller than the holder of a bull tag but with no bull and tag soup on the menu. (Yes, I am a meat hunter.)

**Pick Easy Terrain:
"Little Switzerland" might be pretty to look at but it will wear you down in a hurry, especially if you are not using horses or a spike camp to get closer to the action. Stay with easy terrain that you know.

Check your PM.

EKM

Quick Reply: Envy~!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.