Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Envy~!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Envy~!!!

I would second the notion of getting a cow tag, especially if you go on a gun hunt (not the first rifle season). You would have an increased chance at success while getting familar with the area. The cost is $250 vs. $485. AND they eat great!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all of you for the info and ELKampMaster I got the PM, and one is coming back to you.

Now one more question. I need a backpack or at least the frame (wishful thinking when my chances are probably 1%), I buy a lot of stuff from Cabelas', do they sell good ones and can y'all recommend one. I'll buy it from another place if necessary.

It's people like y'all that make this ole world a little better place. Hope to run into y'all one day.

Thank You,
dog1
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

In reference to buying a cow tag, I have been thinking about buying both and doubling my odds, I guess.

One of the reasons I would go the 2nd rifle season is because my son in law may go with me and he doesn't bow hunt, plus the length of the season, 9 days, plus it's OTC license. I had planned on geting out there early enough to set up camp and get used to the altitude, even if I have to use up a few days of the second season doing so. I didn't apply for the draw because my son, son in law, and a buddy kept saying they wanted to go, so I waited and waited. You know the rest of the story, they never brought it up again.

Maybe to some this will sound stupid, but I know I have a slim chance of taking an elk on my first hunt, but that's not what's important to me, I just want to try it one time. After trying it, I may stick my tail between my legs and stick to hunting whitetails the rest of my life in the swamps of Ga. I honestly believe that If, If I could hear one bugle, I would be satisfied and the hunt successful in my mind. My dogs go crazy because I go to some of the web sites where you can hear an elk bugling. I doubt they would move if they heard one for real.

Again Thanks to all of you,

dog1
Old 06-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

With all the forestrey and BLM property availiable and with a little homework and sweat, you'll have the hardest fun of your life. After a week you should be on some cows. I hunt solo 95% of the time and you need to go through the entire hunt and rehearse it over and over from start to finish, oh did anyone mention the unforseen? If your bowhunting then be prepared to possibly deal with temps in the 90's or 100f degrees during the day and near freezing night depending on elev. and terrain. Good luck and go for it and be getting your act together now. Bobby