Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

first black bear hunt

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default first black bear hunt

Hi folks
I was new to hunting last fall. Although I got a late start in life (I'm 43) I really enjoyed my first season and look forward to the coming fall.
This year I have a chance to go black bear hunting with a friend here in WV. I want to begin preparing shortly.
My question... I ony have three guns. A 22lr, a 30-30 and a 270. Obviously I will not choose the 22 but of the other two which one should I use.
Prior to last years deer season I practiced with both guns and have shot well over 750 rounds in each so I am comfortable shooting both.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 PM

Default RE: first black bear hunt

It depends on the terain your hunting and how far you can get a shot . I'm guessing thick and relativily short shots. I'd say 30-30 up to 150 yards .
Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM

Depends what type of hunting you intend to do. For short range shots, under 100yards (such as hunting over bait or hound hunts), I would chose the 30-30. Anything else such as spot and stalk I would use the 270. The biggest thing is to be very familar with each gun and know your limitations, which I assume you do because you stated that you've shot each gun lots, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:29 AM

DannyD first off welcome to the world of hunting, How did you fall into hunting later in life? Well I live in Virginia the terrain and foilage and numbers of bears is similar as West Virginia, Bear Hunting either place is no slam dunk and your odds are going to substantially improve if you are hunting with hounds. I have been hunting here in Va. a long time and have never set my 30-06 down, i have taken deer from 30 yards to 150 yards you just never know. Bear hunting the bear will most likely be treed if hunting with hounds shooting a 30-30 or 270 the bullet is going to travel a long way especially if you where to miss. I would invest in a shotgun this is going to open up another door of hunting for you Birds, Squirrels, Rabbits and bears in trees using a slug. If you are not hunting with hounds and your bear is going to be on the ground I would use the 270, I know it is similar to what I shoot which is comfortable for me I have taken 2 bears with it and both were one shot kills, so I think it is enough gun. But as the other guys were saying 100 yards or less your 30-30 will work. I am an opprtunist and If I were bear hunting and Bowinkle was to strut by at 150 yards I would want to be able to take him. Good Luck and think about that shotgun.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel Hog

I grew up and lived on Long Island almost all my life. I moved here to WV 6 years ago and last year my 12 year old daughter asked me if she could go huntung with her soccer club friend. HUH??????.. Neither of us had ever shot a gun. So I just said that we would learn this hunting thing together. That was May of 04. From then until youth day in November we put several thousand rounds through a 22LR, Did research together to choose a gun and caliber that would fit both of us and the terrain (chose the Marlin 30-30). Then put hundreds of rounds through it. On youth day, our first hunt together, she got a doe at 128 yards on public land near the gun range. We are both hooked forever.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:54 AM

Long Island? It just goes to show that folks in the city with proper exposure would find out that there is more to guns than what they see on the streets. Well you guys have just scratched the service of what guns and hunting has to offer have fun and look into that shotgun, if you like shooting as it seems you do try shooting skeet. By the way I am Rebel "D"og Have fun
Old 06-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Hey Danny,

Thats a great story about you and your daughter! I hope to take my daughter hunting in another year, she turned five yesterday!

I also got a late start in hunting, am originally from Jersey, and moved to VA. I think the more versitile rifle to choose for you bear hunt is the .270 with a low power scope. It will shoot farther if neccessary and will hit harder too.

Good luck to you and your little girl!
Old 06-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phoenix
I tell that story whenever I can. There was so much more to it as we hunted for 11 hours. She practiced hard all summer and it paid off. I was so proud of her. Even though I got a buck later in the season I was way more excited about hers.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both will kill a bear no problem. Use the one that you are most comfortable with.