Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tophy fee

Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Default tophy fee

Can someone explain to me what exactly a trophy fee is? Is it something charged by the guide or the state? And what exactly qualifies as a trophy?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tophy fee

Usually its a fee you pay, in addition to the outfitter, for shooting an animal. I believe its very common in Africa and on any type of Game ranch. For me this is a possible warning sign to check into the outfit very carefully (Africa excluded since it appears to be the normal way over there).
Old 06-03-2005, 11:38 AM

This point doesn't relate to your question about a "trophy fee" but it certainly adds to the cost of a guided hunt and that is the fee charged by the land owner for each animal taken from his/her land.
Land owners have learned that hunting is big business and they have a vaLuable inventory wandering across their land. One outfitter commented that he pays $3000 per bull taken from a certain ranch. This is HALF the fee he charges. With the growing demand for trophy elk and deer I don't expect this to end soon.

GOOD HUNTING
Old 06-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I for one HATE the "Trophy" fee and the "TIP" fee ...its not that I am a tight wad but why else would you pay to go hunt with an outfitter if it was not to have an oppertunity to take a trophy AND why should they expect a tip ...for good service??? Gezzzzzzzzz if you pay 5K for a hunt you EXPECT good service AND a chance to take a "trophy" ..... just my thoughts ...

Doc
Old 06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some outfitters charge a much lower price for the hunt and then an additional charge if you take an animal.In most cases the total cost is about the same as that of other outfitters operating in the same area for the same species.In this case if you are unsuccessful,the cost is less than it would be than if you paid a flat rate for the hunt.However most outfitters that use the trophy fee system have extremely high success rates so most hunters actually pay the trophy fee and the outfitter makes the same amount of money as those charging a flat rate.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Some outfitters charge a much lower price for the hunt and then an additional charge if you take an animal.In most cases the total cost is about the same as that of other outfitters operating in the same area for the same species.In this case if you are unsuccessful,the cost is less than it would be than if you paid a flat rate for the hunt.However most outfitters that use the trophy fee system have extremely high success rates so most hunters actually pay the trophy fee and the outfitter makes the same amount of money as those charging a flat rate.
Yes and they sometimes get upset when you don't shoot a 5 point because they want there trophy fee. I don't like the trophy fee myself.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I for one HATE the "Trophy" fee and the "TIP" fee ...its not that I am a tight wad but why else would you pay to go hunt with an outfitter if it was not to have an oppertunity to take a trophy AND why should they expect a tip ...for good service??? Gezzzzzzzzz if you pay 5K for a hunt you EXPECT good service AND a chance to take a "trophy" ..... just my thoughts ...
Dr. Death,

I agree...

What an outfitter is selling is his expertise, his service and, in some cases, access to hunting land.

Just like an engineer is selling his expertise and experience... Just like a Doctor is selling his expertise and his service... When is the last time you got tippped Dr?

Now I understand why an african outfitter charges trophy fees and I understand trophy fees for "bonus" animals like a second bear or a griz on a moose hunt.

But I have never understood the "trophy fee based upon size" concept that is implemented by some american outfitters, especially, the western outfitters.

Personally, I think that it cuts at the very core of hunting... it equates the harvest of animals to the purchasing of some livestock... the more money you are willing to spend, the bigger the animal that you can kill. "Charging by the inch" or "Charging by the point" is just like charging by the pound as far as I am concerned.

If you hire an outfitter and you have an animal in your scope, you thoughts of "how big is he?" should be followed with "I wonder how much he is going to cost me?"

Doesn't sound like it is something that I want to do... so I avoid any outfitters that have a "trophy fee by the inch" system in place.

They can go sell their hunt by the inch to someone else...

SA
Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes and they sometimes get upset when you don't shoot a 5 point because they want there trophy fee. I don't like the trophy fee myself
I hunted with an outfitter in northern B.C. that used the trophy fee system.I turned down 6 point or better elk every day until I killed a good 6x7 on the 8th day.Not once did the guide question my decision to pass up animals.In fact the hunters were told at the start of the hunt that there were many large elk in the area and that they should be very selective.A couple of hunters chose not to kill a moose and the guides and outfitters had no problems with their decisions.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are some outfitters in Texas that charge more for bigger whitetails. Some actually charge a trophy fee based on the B&C score. And this is on free ranging wild whitetails. I suspect if this was ever challanged in court it would be found illegal. After all, that seems to constitute selling a wild animal, which is illegal. I would never hunt under those conditions. Whether I kill a spike or a world record, the price should not change on a wild animal.

However, I think a set fee for the hunt, and a trophy fee IF you kill an animal, and not based on the size of the animal, can actually work out good for the hunter. After all, if the outfitter gets more money when you get your game, he will probably work harder to make you successful. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

IMHO, trophy fees are not my cup of tea but I have to stand up and defend Tips for guides. Any good guide works his a** off for his hunter day in day out for the duration of the hunt. The guide is often at least partially responsible for the success or failure of the hunter. Let's face it, on most fully guided hunts how much leg work does the hunter actually do besides sitting on stand or following his guide. This is not intended as a slight to those who go on guided hunts, just a reminder that the guide does most of the "work". Not to mention that many do it for two hunters at a time.

My point is that while yes, most guides are paid a flat salary by the outfitter. When one considers the wear and tear subjected to his body, mind and vehicles, the salary alone is rarely worth it. For example, I spent a week spotting geese for an outfitter in Alberta a few years ago. I was paid $100 canadian a day for my time. When you consider that I put in excess of 5000Km's on my truck it was hardly worth it. That is where tips come in. The only thing that saved the experience from costing me money was the tips from hunters who recognized the hard work of myself and the other guides/spotters.

I'm not saying I guide to get rich, I do it for the love of being outdoors and hunting. I'm also not a fan of mandatory tips, and any outfitters that take a cut rarely deserve it. Look at it like this. Most of us tip at a restaurant if we recieve good service. The amount of course depends on both the restaurant and the quality of service. Why should guided hunts be any different. A guide that does his job well deserves a gratuity whether the hunt was "successful" or not and a guide who dogf*cks deserves a kick in the butt and new job.

I'm not trying to jump on your back Doctor D, just give you the point of view of somebody on the other side. I would think that you, having been as successful as you were last year, appreciate the work and effort (other than your own) that went into your success (congratulations by the way).

Finally, consider this. All compensation aside can you possibly imagine how frustrating it can be for somebody who loves hunting to do all the scouting, set up, take down, gutting, and dragging only to have somebody else get all the reward. Yes, this is a purely selfish remark, but true (at least for me). Trust me when I say that a fair tip for a job well done makes a guide feel justified and appreciated. It also helps in forgetting some of the frustration, jealousy inherant to the job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.