Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tophy fee

Old 06-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tophy fee

Sorry Doctor D,

I failed to address part of your post regarding the expectation of good service. You are absolutely right that for the price of a guided six day whitetail hunt you should expect good service. Which makes it all the more important for hunters to do their homework about prospective outfitters before booking. That said, the price paid for the hunt goes directly to the outfitter, not the guides. More importantly, IMHO the expectation of good service doesn't excuse the hunter from tipping a guide for good service. Just like paying a restaurant for a steak doesn't excuse us from tipping a waiter for good service.

In defense of outfitters, their costs run fairly high. When food, lodging, guide salaries and most importanlty gas are considered there goes a large chunk of that cash you fork over. Also, in Alberta non-resident allocations ( the right to non resident tags) can be rediculous. I've heard of market values of upwards of $20,000 each for ten years (renewals are possible). With this in mind, the average outfitter here who takes 15 hunters a year for general antlered whitetail could have up to $300,000 invested in allocations alone, nevermind equipment. Also consider that while the season is often only a few weeks, outfitters spent many months (and dollars) scouting, preparing and recruiting clients. In the end, outfitters do make profit, but for most it is spread thin and must also support him and his family. Of course there are oufitters who have huge operations and boatloads of cash, but i daresay there are less of these than you might think.

My point in all this is that a gratuity should be aimed at rewarding the guide for his/her work, not the outfitter. As I said before, any outfitter that takes a cut or demands a flat tip likely deserves a kick in the nads.

Forgive the log windedness, I've heard your arguement from others and I couldn't keep my yap shut any longer.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: tophy fee

Sask your point is well taken however I find it extreamly unreasonable to charge a hunter from $3500 to $6000.00 for a deer hunt ...plus hunter pays $500 to $1200 for air fare ... another $1000 for extra equipment ( wool hunting gear, heavy pac boots Ect. ) ...and comes with expectations of not just a average hunt BUT a GREAT hunt .... a guide drives you to a blind ...drops you off ...comes back 11 hours later ...does it 4 or 5 times and expects 10% gratuity .. I mean I could rent a Lemo for less ... again PLEASE understand my point ... I am not a tight wad ..I just find it unreasonable to pay a tip to an employee of the outfitter for doing what I feel like I paid for ..good service ....if the Outfitter does not want to pay his guide fairly for doing the gopher work then he should get off his fat butt and do it himself ..bottom like is I think the cost of the hunts are to high anyway ..and if they keep it up they will price them selves out of the market ... I LOVE Canada and the experience ...love the people there ... but there are some states that are starting to take some BIG deer .....

Doc