Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Spotting scope ?

Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Spotting scope ?

Ok I know that Swarovski and the like are the best. I can't afford them though. So thats out of the way. If you had $500 or less to spend what make & model of scope would you buy. What power? What size Objective is a minimum? I'm leaning toward the Leupold wind river sope. Its 15-45 power with a 60mm objective. $300 with the leupold name is very tempting. I've also read good things about the Alpen brand. Any experiences with these or any other reasonabley priced scopes.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spotting scope ?

ive got the alpen strait 20 power scope, its pretty nice. it is of course their cheapest model. i have never looked through there top ones, im sure there pretty good too.

that all being said, for that price range you can get a damn fine scope. nikon makes a good one. also check out the cabelas line. those are always great. a couple of my family members use the cabelas alaskan guide binos, and i will say there quality compares with the big boys.

as for size, you want at least 60 mm. cabelas makes an 80 i believe, that would be better. i like 20-60 power, but depending on whay you needing it for, that 15x45 should be fine.

if i were buying a new one (and i just might this summer) i would look at that cabelas with 20x60 in the 80mm. just me though.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato,
Nikon makes a good one,and the Wind Rivers by Leupold are good also.These all should be under 500.00 bucks,stay away from the Burris Landmarks pure crap.I had 2 of them.The first one I bought was very hazey,so I sent it back and Burris replaced it,and it was not much better so i sold it and bought the Nikon.
BBJ
Old 06-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the windriver and bought it last year. When I was searching for a spotting scope, my search got narrowed down pretty quick when I started looking for waterproof and not water resistant. The windriver is waterproof, and also armour coated. IMO it is a great bang for the buck.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I so look at the Baush and Lombe Elite model..