Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly Hunt

Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 PM

Default RE: Grizzly Hunt

jjenson,

I don't think a lot of guys here have ever really seen a true 9-foot bear, and don't realize how big it is. If you shot him head on, I don't think a 7mm-08 is going to pierce that chest on what is likely a big old boar. I also think if he was hurt really bad, instead of running, he would have stood his ground and you guys would have had a real problem.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Hey all,
I am the imfamous hunter whom shot at the grizzly with my 7mm-08.
Here are some facts to calm you all down.

-Initially, I thought the bear was a phase colored black.
-I stalked, in my socks, from where my two friends and our .300 mags were approx 600metres
-At about 100m from the bear, he caught wind of me and started a gallop towards me
-My only shot was head on. I aimed for his chest and pulled.
-He spun, half backflip, then went into the bush.

I would not have shot at him with a 7mm-08 if I had known he was a grizzly before stalking him.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still dont' see a problem with you shooting this bear with a 7mm. I also dont' think it makes much of a difference as to whether you were shooting soft or solid bullets. My only beef is that I think you guys should have definitely put more effort into coming to a conclusion as to what kind of a hit was made. By now, if he was/is dead you ought to be able to sniff 'em out.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sure about a grizz BUT I shot a WT Deer that weighed 337 lbs on the hoof with a 7mm08 at 165 yards ...shot it through the right rear hip (only shot I had) and it died of massive enternal injurys but bled very little ... I was shooting 139 grain Ballistic tip ... 7mm08 is a great cal. but I doubt I would ever want to hunt a grizz with one ....

Doc
Old 06-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wouldn't be my first choice, but it will work. I'd prefer a .338 or even a .375. If I was tracking a wounded bear in heavy cover I'd feel pretty comfortable with a .416.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It wouldn't be my first choice but a bullet in the vitals with a 7mm08 would kill any bear. Obviously he did not hit the vitals if the bear was still running 2 hours later. Sounds like the bear was running at him when he fired and I would guess either a glancing shoulder shot or one in the chest that did not make it to the lungs. Either way they should get after it with heavier rifles and finish it off before it eats some innocent victim.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Im not sure about a grizz BUT I shot a WT Deer that weighed 337 lbs on the hoof with a 7mm08 at 165 yards ...shot it through the right rear hip (only shot I had) and it died of massive enternal injurys but bled very little ... I was shooting 139 grain Ballistic tip ... 7mm08 is a great cal. but I doubt I would ever want to hunt a grizz with one ....

Doc

Doctordeath if the deer you posted pic's of is the one you hip shot, you got lucky!!! If I was your guide i would not have been a happy one. 165 yards and you only had that to shoot at?? Sorry As you can tell I'm NOT a texas heart shot type of hunter . Not a very high percentage shot, not to mention you could have lost the buck as the hinds have the most fat on them in the rut.

and now the GRIZZ

HMMMMMMMMMm my 2 cents

You boys now are going to have one real Pissed off grizz on your hands!!!!! Having said that I hope he's dead so as he didn't suffer to long or injure anyone. I'm not going to pound or scold you I know you all feel bad.

Look for sign along a creek or river bed, most injured game seek water or thick cover for refuge. Track back to were it went in the brush and do circles to find tracks or blood (dry now) Heavely armed I might add!!!

By time you read this you will be back from this weekends hunt/search good luck.
AL
Old 06-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Doctordeath if the deer you posted pic's of is the one you hip shot, you got lucky!!! If I was your guide i would not have been a happy one. 165 yards and you only had that to shoot at?? Sorry As you can tell I'm NOT a texas heart shot type of hunter . Not a very high percentage shot, not to mention you could have lost the buck as the hinds have the most fat on them in the rut.
Nichols I am not a proponent for the Texas heart shot eithr but I did have the angel on him as he was quartering away from me as he entered the bush ...I was in a shooting lane that was only about 20 yards wide ...I had mentioned my concern to my guide after my first day in the bush and told him it would be a very tuff shot ... here is a picture looking from my blind towards where I took the deer ..as you can see there is a rise about 160 yards away ..the deer came from left to right..had to jump a fence and once he landed he was already half way across the lane ...BUT with all honesty I did have a little luck ... BUT like the signature quote below says "The definition of luck is when preparation meet opportunity" ..I was prepared to make the shot..it worked.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:14 AM

The 7mm-08 delivers approx. 2600 ft.lbs of energy at the muzzle, and 2400 ft.lbs at 50 yards. Just not a bear cartridge in my book. My problem isn't as much with the rifle (which I think is wholey inadequate) as leaving a wounded animal after minimal search. Many of you say that it was a low hit, or just a graze. A low hit even a graze wouldn't cause the bear to lay up. He laid down in the thick cover because he was very wounded in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hmm, three hours of searching and leaving upon impending darkness does not classify as a good look? Should we have set up camp and maybe looked with head lamps?
Sorry, I think we looked quite well.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.