Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly Hunt

Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 PM

Default grizzley hunt and tracking

I'm sorry for you who feel that we are idiots and "not real hunters" but when u are thinking u are shooting a black bear until u get up close u dont have alot of time to react. we did have 300 win mags however like i said before we were in black bear country and we had shot a black bear with the 7mm 08 and it killed it dead 1st shot. Thanks for the advice and i do understand that we need to get out there asap to find this bear. the bear was running towards him when he shot he said he aimed directly at the chest plate, but flinching and excitment can effect the shot. would a 7mm 08 pierce a grizzlies chest plate? and please keep the negative comments to yourself u wernt there and u dont know the situation we were in!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: grizzley hunt and tracking

i didn't realize it was coming at you. that's one thing. i could understand that. i still don't know that i myself would feel good about being in griz country with a 7mm-08. i'm sure it would work for it but that wouldn't be my choice. especially if it were pissed off and charging.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 PM

Default RE: Grizzly Hunt

would a 7mm 08 pierce a grizzlies chest plate?
Depends on how old it was and how big the animal was and how much fat it had on it, since they r coming out of hibernation they should be kinda "thin" so you might have a slight chance that the bullet pirced the chest plate. But how big was it like was it kinda small for a grizz or was it big?????????? n another ? is was you buddy the only one that had a gun on him? if not y didn't u or your other buddies pump led into the bear as well? Just think if he was the only 1 with a gun and even tho your buddy hit the bear n the bear kept charging, and the gun/bullets got jammed what would you have done then??(if your thinkng running your wrong cause the can out run you up hill and down hill) I dont know but when i plan on going bear hunting in the future i plan on haven the people that r with me to have a gun with them in case it decides to charge n something happens. n back to your very first question asking if he will be back in the same area, if all animals acted like mule deer i would hav to say yes because every deer that i have shot have been 20yrds away from eachother n so far i have only shot 2 being cause i am 15 yrs old.(an if i am correct i would have to say they where in the same herd b/c i have seen the sam buck running with them but unfortunally i have a doe liscencse) but if they are like deer sure the grizzley might be back WHEN HE FEELS THE AREA IS SAFE FOR HIM/HER TO BE IN AGAIN
Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on how old it was and how big the animal was and how much fat it had on it, since they r coming out of hibernation they should be kinda "thin" so you might have a slight chance that the bullet pirced the chest plate
ROTHFLMAO, it keeps getting better and better. I must have forgotten somewhere along the line that Daisy makes the 7-08s. Get real, Ive shot whitetails end to end and bull elk through both shoulders with a 7-08, of course it will penetrate the chest of a grizzly. After reading your post on the bear running toward you, I maybe inclinded to think that it was a low, grazing hit, but then again who knows.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:08 PM

BUT ELK N DEER ARE MOSTLY MUSCLE SO WHENU FIRE AT FAT IT IS GOING TO SLOW THE VELOCITY DOWN N THE NRG IS GOING TO BE EXERTDEN INTO THE FAT NOT THE BONE
Old 06-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

BUT ELK N DEER ARE MOSTLY MUSCLE SO WHENU FIRE AT FAT IT IS GOING TO SLOW THE VELOCITY DOWN
Muscle is more dense than fat so muscle slows the bullet down more.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

BUT ELK N DEER ARE MOSTLY MUSCLE SO WHENU FIRE AT FAT IT IS GOING TO SLOW THE VELOCITY DOWN
Muscle is more dense than fat so muscle slows the bullet down more.
\o thats true
But it also depends what kinda bullets where used, how close, n your shot placement, n a grizzley is a totaly differnent that is a lot bigger
Old 06-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you guys are idiots,I think you made some bad choices.
Now I have never hunted grizz,but have hunted in grizz country,and had always carried enough gun to get the job done if I was ever forced to shoot a agresive bear.I won't say the 7-08 won't kill a grizz,but it probaly wasn't the best choce for your intended job.

With that being said,you had 300 win mag's with you,how come you guys were not backing up your buddy and the 7-08 when tracking this bear,why did you quit,if the bear was coming at you guys how come only one fired?

I would have to say it was a low shot and either grazed the bear,or hit some part legs or minimal flesh wound.If the bear is seriously wounded,guts,live,or one lunger he will be close to water and mud,bears get a fever and try to cool them selves down by wallowing.Now this normaly reqiuers thick cover and close quarters,so if I were guys I would have a few 12 ga's loaded to the hilt and one guy backing up with the biggest rifle you guys own.Don't quit shooting till he's on the ground.
BBJ

P.S. Best of luck
Old 06-02-2005, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: BareBack Jack

if I were guys I would have a few 12 ga's loaded to the hilt and one guy backing up with the biggest rifle you guys own.Don't quit shooting till he's on the ground.
hehe I had a good laugh on this, dont get me wrong, it's a very good idea, but when I was reading it I could imagine Tim The Toolman (Tim Allen in Tooltime) saying it... haha more power!!!!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:01 PM

Default grizzley hunt and tracking

the reason we were not backing up the first shot was because he was stalking it and i was in the truck about 600yds away, watching through binoculars, as soon as i heard the shot i was driving over there, and all 4 of us were looking for the bear in the bush staying together in a group.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.