Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I got my high country mule deer rifle tag - Unit 43

Old 06-02-2005, 07:18 PM

Default RE: I got my high country mule deer rifle tag - Unit 43

ORIGINAL: huntnmuleys

data,
i personally would look to get some better binos, if ya can afford it. there are some pretty good ones that are plenty affordable, check out the pentax dcf, nikons, or maybe even the cabelas alaskan guide models if ya can.
The Nikon Monarch ATB's can usually be found on eBay for around $250 (new in box). I have tried about everything on the market and these are one of the very few that hold their own with the higher optics out there. No, they aren't Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. but the difference is so slight this is all I now use. The 10x42 in camo is lightweight and has everything the big boys have. Plus, Nikon has a warranty (no fault, 25 yrs) that also makes it like the big boys.

In optics you get what you pay for and these are a wonderful high end model without the high end tag. If you can find a pair at your local shop, check them out, look through them and compare. They are an awesome buy at that price. Another affordable one is the Leupold Wind River series, but I'd still put the Nikon Monarchs over them for performance and price.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:14 AM

either way, good luck on your hunt. but watch it, that high country gets into your blood in a hurry
I've elk hunter for 10 + seasons in southern Colorado, wilderness area, 10,000 ' so I have an idea of what it'll be like. However, this high country tag will be higher - probably 12,000' +/- I imagine and more difficult, plus I'm adding the challenge of backpacking and camping solo. Should be great fun !

Nikon Monarch ATB's

I'll look into those. I'll likely buy off EBAY, then sell 2 weeks later when I get back on EBAY again for about the same price. Hell of deal EBAY is
Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 AM
Spike

Datamax,
I drew a similar tag last year for a different area. I used Jeff's services (AntlerQuest) too. You did yourself a favor, especially after waiting so long for that tag. Jeff is dead honest and really knows how to be successful in that country.
I can't stress enough that you need to be in shape. If you don't tag out early that country can really get to you. I'm going to say that the experience changed my life and way of hunting probably for ever.
Good luck!
Will
Old 06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set of the windriver 10x50 binos. They are a little bit heavier but have great light gathering capabilities. I use them for hunting and for shooting 3-D and I can see the lines on targets at 50 yards with them. They were awesome when I hunted a late mule deer hunt last year. I would get them located with the bino's and then switch to my leopold spotting scope for a better look when I found something that might be worth stalking. I would be willing to bet that when you find a shooter in the day, he will most likely be bedded. Good luck to you and whack a big one. We will all be waiting for pics. If you are going solo. I would suggest a tripod if you don't already have one for picture taking. I use a Canon digital that has a timer on it. Get the camera ready and take some pics of you with the trophy by using the timer. If you don't like the pic you can delete it and take another. If you look into cameras, most magazines will not print pics that are less than 4.0 megapixels. So if you want to send the pic in to have it published, you might want to do some advanced planning. Eastmans hunting journal gives some great tips on their website for picture taking. If you are using the pics for your own use only, a 3 meagapixel will give you adequet quality for a wall picture. I went one step further with my set-up and made a bracket that my camera mounts to, and then mounts to my spotting scope. I can take pics with the 45 power setting. I did this last year and got some tremenous photos of bucks in the rut and also bucks sleeping. I had my buck already and was helping a couple of fellows out. I switched to hunting with the camera and it was almost as much fun as hunting with the bow. Again.........Good luck!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM

3 months to get my legs in shape - and back/shoulders from the weight of the pack. I've started with 25 pounds of feed and I'm walking a hill right next to my house. 1/4 mile up, 1/4 mile down, turn around and do it again. Steep SOB with a pack on !

I'm considering using llamas again ......... love 'em but I really want a solo backpack hunt. We'll see how great my conditioning is come August.

I have a nice little Kodak digital camera - all the lightweight camping stuff I need. At least I've been there and done that with elk hunting.

willhunt4food - tell me everything about your hunt - PLEASE !
Old 06-04-2005, 08:23 PM

I've hunted unit 77 and 78 for the past 6yrs. Been successful but no monster muleys. Who is deer king - antler quest?and what services do they offer. I got drawn again this year and looking for new areas in my units. Maybe i'll give them a try
Old 06-04-2005, 09:14 PM

Jeff is his name,

http://hometown.aol.com/antlerquest1.../business.html

I've never used him, just talked with him and paid for 2005 help. What help ? He has a very deep knowledge of certain areas of Colorado. He hikes those mtns all the time. Its my understanding he'll tell me which drainages are best, which mtn to hunt, where to look for big bucks he's seen in the past etc etc Topo maps, GPS coordinates ........... he has nothing but great feedback from everyone who knows him and has hunted with him to my knowledge

I'll let ya'll know how I do
Old 06-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Spike

txbigbuck,
AntleQuest is a do it yourself hunting consulting business specialized in assisting folks that want to hunt Colorado but may have no time to scout or real ideas about where to go. AQ is owned and operated by Jeff Coldwell. Jeff is a lifelong resident of Colorado and an absolute wealth of knowledge when it comes to hunting the state. I could go on but long story short, for a very fair price he helps folks by providing current information to help them achieve their hunting goals in Colorado (maps, videos, numerous phone calls and occasionally he will join you on a pre season scouting trip to your hunting area).
He can be contacted at [email protected].
I've been a customer in the past and I will use his services when I get ready to cash in my elk points in the future.
will
Old 06-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Spike

Datamax,
I Sent you a personal email.
will
Old 06-05-2005, 11:48 AM

Good luck.

Quick Reply: I got my high country mule deer rifle tag - Unit 43

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.