Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Here is the bear

Old 05-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Here is the bear

As you all know I have been hard after it trying to get a bear. In my first year of bear baiting I have learned so much and have been keeping an active journal of the events that have taken place. I have gone through 1500 pounds of bait. I was honestly surprised when twinkie filling didn't come out when I gutted the bear. It took several attempts to get into the high country, with one trip needing a wrecker to get me back out. The high country location proved to be active right away. I took in what I beleived to be a months worth of bait only to find it gone in one week. After waiting for 1 week, I decided I couldn't take it any more. When I went in I found that there was a sow and a cub on the bait. They were both cinomon(spelling) in color and I had to let them walk. That night I left only a bag of marshmallows and a jar of honey. The following night I had a friend of mine leave some apples, potatoes and some onions. I hunted it last night and found all of the items gone again. I have been hunting from a blind about 20 yards from the bait. When I went in this time I took in about 100 pounds of bread, marshmallows and some liquid smoke. I got into the blind around 5 and the wait was on. Around 6:30 I heard some noise outside the side of the blind. It sounded like breathing and scratching. I just sat tight as the noise was around 10 feet away from me. The noise subsided and all was quiet til about 7:00. At this time a raven landed above me and was going nuts. When I leaned foward, I saw the bear standing up and smelling the air. I got my bow ready and when the bear went back down and turned broadside, I let her have it. I beleive this to be a sow around 4 years old. She had evidence that she had cubs in the past. My guess is that she ran it or them off to breed again. This is a sweet ending to a month and a half of learning the do's and don'ts of bear hunting over bait. I think that I am getting the hang of it now. Though I still have alot to learn.

I would like to thank all of you who contributed your experience to help me out. This bear was kind of a community project.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Here is the bear

Elk good story!!

Baiting can be just as fun as hunting??........I just started baiting also this year...lots to learn.

Funny i never heard of people using potatoes?....but what ever works!!

Sounds like you were on the ground in a blind??.....now that takes balls!!![:@]

AL
Old 05-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

nice looking bear.

should get my first bear this year, maybe a couple of them. cant wait for fall
Old 05-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nicholal, yes I was in a ground blind. I am not good with heights and get to fidgity in a tree anyway. I used the ameristep brick house blind with the total scent control feature. I can move around as much as I want and can not be seen. I beleive that the scent control is an added bonus. I also poured liquid smoke about 15 feet from the blind downwind from me. This did 2 things. It helped mask my scent that was leaking from the blind, and also it was a aromatic dinner bell. I would pour the liquid smoke at the bait everytime I would bait. I had quick results at both of my baits using this and also a laundry bag of sardines.

Go get em huntnmuleys
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chad, congrats on the bear sounds like all in all it was a fun hunt. My bear hunting plans went to crap this year when my truck got wrecked, (hit and run). With no wheels to get me in the mountains and also the fact we are so busy at work, plus my wife had surgery two weeks ago, well it all equalled no bear hunting. Oh well thats life, I might try this fall if I am not too busy elk hunting!
Old 05-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Elkcrazy8

She had evidence that she had cubs in the past. My guess is that she ran it or them off to breed again.
Alot of times a boar will kill the cubs so he can (hopefully) breed the sow
again.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking bear!!! Congrats on the hard work!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:19 AM

Chad, Congrats on your bear. I was wondering how it was going for you. It is a great feeling when all your hard work pays off. Not to mention the experience of it all will last a lifetime. Give me call so we can get together and talk about hunting.

elkaholicid
Michael
Old 05-29-2005, 12:35 PM

Nice bear and great story. I'm waiting to see if I get a draw,it would be my first bear hunt.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Chad--Way to go my friend!!! Nice work!!!---------------------ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Here is the bear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.