Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Skyline Shots any thoughts?

I was always schooled never to shoot anything on a skyline always to make sure the bullet had something to stop it preferably at a downhill angle. Here I am watching "Best of the West" last night and the hunter in question shoots a pretty good Coues deer on the skyline at long range with an ULtramag. I won't judge anything just want to hear opinions on this.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Skyline shots-just don't take'em.You just never know even in the backcountry.
BBJ
Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 AM

Its just what I've been talking about. Hunting ethics via the television. I was taught and teach never to take a shot unless you are sure of the target and what is behind the target. That would most definately preclude a skyline shot. But, I'm sure that it made for good TV, backlit and all. I'm sure the guy behind the camera said: "I'm on him, take the shot" so that makes it ok.[:@]
Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I was always schooled never to shoot anything on a skyline always to make sure the bullet had something to stop it preferably at a downhill angle. Here I am watching "Best of the West" last night and the hunter in question shoots a pretty good Coues deer on the skyline at long range with an ULtramag. I won't judge anything just want to hear opinions on this.

I am not so sure about this...

First, I usually don't take them, HOWEVER, I could envision several instances where it wouldn't really be an issue...

All are remote locations... including where we shoot our coues deer in old mexico... a 250,000 acre ranch where we are the only ones hunting it and frankly on it.

The areas that I have moose hunted in Alaska would be a none issue... as would a few of the caribou areas that I have hunted...

Where were they hunting and were they the only ones in the area?

SA
Old 05-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spyro-Gutsy choice.

Let me put up a senerio for ya,
Say you are on a Couse deer hunt in Mexico and you spot this big buck laying on a ridge on the skyline above you.So you take the shot and whack he hits the ground.Now you and your guide walk up the hill and find your buck but also 10 feet on the other side is another buck.Now don't say it can't happen,I've seen bullets do funy things when they come out the other side,say this bullet deflected down ward and hit this deer.Now you have a problem you have 2 deer down and now what do you do.
You can walk away
You can call the game warden and tell himyou have 2 deer down,and not only will you be ticketed,you will be fined and lectured for shooting on the skyline.
or
You can beg someone else to tag the deer.
Now wouldn't it been easier to know your target and beyond and miss all this trouble.
Like I said is't just a senerio not the gospel truth.
BBJ
Old 05-26-2005, 12:55 PM

I was always taught to know your target and beyond. A lady here around 10 years ago or longer, was killed by a bullet from a 30 06 while she was in her back yard and no one ever heard a shot?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It was Sonora on a private ranch . I can't tell if they were the only ones in the area and the show was "Best of the West".
Old 05-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO! About 4 years ago, my neighbor shot over the hill at a running deer. On the other side of the hill a local was driving down the remote dirt road, and unfortunately the bullet went through the truck, through his chest and killed him. A husband and father of 2 young girls. I dare anybody to tell those girls that shooting shooting over a hill blindly is okay! The only safe way to shoot is knowing where the bullet is going... no exceptions. Just as learned in basic Hunter's Education. Anybody that thinks different needs to re-take the course. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

10-4 KS! I agree 100%
Old 05-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Just as learned in basic Hunter's Education. Anybody that thinks different needs to re-take the course. Just my 2 cents.
[/quote]

Agree completely with KShunter,
Just because you can legally take a shot, doesnt mean you should,
lots of reasons why its just wrong,
its simply, cant see beyond your shot, dont take the shots,
best hunters give up more shots than they take for simple reasons,

Quick Reply: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.