Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2005, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

As a general rule, I’ll avoid taking “sky-line” shots although I’m sure not going to be as judgmentally absolute as most the folks here. I’d have to say that Spyro certainly has a point that it is illusory to think one really knows what the backdrop is just because one is shooting below the horizon, it’s a “solid” background, and one can’t see anyone --- that isn't necessarily safe, and seldom does any hunting situation encountered provide “shooting range quality” conditions for down range fire control.

Being absolute in one's thinking and/or without at least applying a qualification or exception IMHO is the sign of a non-adaptable mind, kinda like some of the school boards and their zero tolerance toward violence and weapons policies where they bust and suspend clean kids for having a “mini-knife” in a manicure set or a first aid kit --- kind of non-adaptable thinking.

Let’s see….

** A PH has just gotten the leopard to come to bait at sundown on a tree branch specifically chosen so the leopard will be silhouetted against the sunset sky just as they’ve been doing for 150 years (as is common practice) and I’m supposed to sit the PH down and give him a hunter safety scolding, eh? I don’t think so --- I’m shooting.

** An elephant in thick jesse charges and one finds ones self at close range and shooting UP for a frontal brain shot --- above the horizon --- and NO, FOLKS SAY THEY ABSOLUTELY WON’T SHOOT, give me a break --- I’m shooting.

** Airplane into the absolute middle of nowhere above the Arctic Circle and hold the same standard of down range fire control as when in crowded deer (or elk) woods --- not likely. Depending on the individual circumstances, I may be shooting.

** A remote Aleutian Island with a clear coastal skyline shot and the hazy Pacific Ocean lying behind it --- I'm shooting.

** Shoot a mountain lion or a black bear out of a tree, same deal, that is skyline shooting --- and I’m shooting. If you miss, it is off into the wild blue yonder.

** Ever shoot squirrels out of/off of a tree with a 22? That is "no certain backdrop" shooting.

** Polar bear, nice and close, and up on his hind legs when we are out on the ice floes of the polar ice cap --- head and chest ABOVE the horizon --- I’m shooting. I'm not going to shoot him in the guts or butt just so I can say I was 100.0000000% certain of my back drop.

In the realm of hunting, ones experience may run very deep, BUT QUITE NARROW, the rules for the heavily populated Continental 48 "deer patch" may not apply at all times for all situations in every other corner of the world. For those who don't "like" the hypotheticals above, all I can say is y'all were the ones giving the mightier than thou ABSOLUTE ANSWERS to an open ended, highly variable question.

IMHO, one has to apply some judgment to situations. Rules are fine but are NOT necessarily absolute. I’ll trust the guy that says, “One has to be really careful with that, here is the in’s and out’s of the deal and how I handle things….” OVER AND ABOVE the one that just “blindly parrots” the stock answer he heard 20 years ago in a 101 hunter safety course and says “Oh, I’d never, ever, ever do that, period!”
= = = = = = = = = = =

Two things glare brighter on the Internet than anywhere else, especially out in real hunting situations:
** 1. People's supposed marksmanship abilities, and
** 2. People’s supposed ability to make perfect decisions (ethics, safety, etc, etc.) under difficult, rapid, uncertain hunting conditions.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Life or death is one thing. Most any other situation, BETTER think it over killing the animal is only part of hunting. Fortunatly most here realize that. The damn internet is not the only place to use common sense and put safty first when handling guns. To some , killing something is the only thing that counts. I"ll not blast away at skyline shot. You go ahead if you want to. Like I said, hope I ain't around. I don't know where some of these hyoptheticals come from A skyline shot is an animal standing silhouetted against the sky. Period. Anything else falls under knowing whats behind the target. If I misunderstand what a skyline shot is then maybe someone needs to clear that up for me. Maybe all these dreamed up Hypotheticals need to be on another post because in most cases they are not skyline shots. I have made that as clear as I can. Thats all I have to say about it. Good luck!!
Old 05-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me, that a lot of hunting involves shooting critters that are treed. Squirrels, racoons, treed bobcats, mtn. lion, bear!! It all happens! Albeit, most of the times the shots are short and the shooter is most likely not going to miss, BUT, the shooter is shooting upward, with only tree branches to stop a miss or a pass through!
We all have heard stories, I myself had a near brush with rifle bullets while deer hunting with my family years back. I was just over a rise from an uncle that was shooting at a doe. Although from where he was, he had a "back stop" that was about 350 yards from where he was, BUT I was over a slight rise between it and him, and I clearly heard the 2 bullets go over my head, before I heard the gun report. He never knew I was there, and even after wards, he had a hard time believing how close he had come to shooting me and my nephew! BUT, hunting is still one of the safest sports going. If we all use good judgement this fall, and for years to come, it will stay that way!
Old 05-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have never hunted with or been around anyone hunting with dogs or shooting treed animals. I would asume they use small caliber or short range type weapons. I would also assume that missing would not be likely. I suppose the tree itself would stop or slow the bullet if it passed through or missed. I would also think there would be time to study the shot angle and make sure that a safe background is present. Or maybe I assume to much. Like I said I have never been involved with that kind of hunting.

Where I live now in eastern ND they use rifles for deer hunting. This is not a safe practice at all as this country is as flat as a table top. Also there are farmsteads on almost every section of land which means its seldom more that a mile across flat land between farm houses. I can't believe the allow rifles. It scares the hell out of me every time I hear a shot. In reality I quess by the time you here the shot it would be to late to duck. I do most of my deer hunting in western SD. There the places are usually miles apart and the land is a lot of prairie but with rolling hills. Its seldom more than 500-700 yards to the nearest solid land backing and I have never even heard of anyone being hit. However some hunter like to get that last shot off before the critter goes over the next hill. That what worries me. I have been through a war and don't need to get shot in my back yard. Up here I like to just sit tight in a good heavy shelter belt.
Old 05-28-2005, 06:51 AM

i think that in all skyline shots, u could talk yourself into"its fine i had a good shot, and nobody is out here"
that is just one shot i have past more than once,and i know i will be passing again...
if you decide to take that shot,just remember one shot could cost someone thier life! and those who they left behind![&o]
it is to much at risk for me to take that chance![;
Old 05-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let’s see….

** A PH has just gotten the leopard to come to bait at sundown on a tree branch specifically chosen so the leopard will be silhouetted against the sunset sky just as they’ve been doing for 150 years (as is common practice) and I’m supposed to sit the PH down and give him a hunter safety scolding, eh? I don’t think so --- I’m shooting.

** An elephant in thick jesse charges and one finds ones self at close range and shooting UP for a frontal brain shot --- above the horizon --- and NO, FOLKS SAY THEY ABSOLUTELY WON’T SHOOT, give me a break --- I’m shooting.

** Airplane into the absolute middle of nowhere above the Arctic Circle and hold the same standard of down range fire control as when in crowded deer (or elk) woods --- not likely. Depending on the individual circumstances, I may be shooting.

** A remote Aleutian Island with a clear coastal skyline shot and the hazy Pacific Ocean lying behind it --- I'm shooting.

** Shoot a mountain lion or a black bear out of a tree, same deal, that is skyline shooting --- and I’m shooting. If you miss, it is off into the wild blue yonder.

** Ever shoot squirrels out of/off of a tree with a 22? That is "no certain backdrop" shooting.

** Polar bear, nice and close, and up on his hind legs when we are out on the ice floes of the polar ice cap --- head and chest ABOVE the horizon --- I’m shooting. I'm not going to shoot him in the guts or butt just so I can say I was 100.0000000% certain of my back drop.

EKM your absolutely correct never thought about those scenarios.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Here's how I look at it. We all drive, right. There is a speed limit every where we drive, for our safety and the safety of others, BUT yet how many of us speed.. say 5 miles per/hr. over or 10 over. I mean heck, don't you have some places in the roads you drive that the speed limit seems ridiculous. You can see for miles, no trees, no other trafic, nothing, so you go faster than the "posted speed limit" After all, your an adult and you've driven for years and you see no danger in doing so, to yourself or others, so you risk it.
Same thing with shooting. There are places that are so remote that the risk of hitting someone, something, beyond the target is less than the chance of getting struck by lightening, or winning the lotto
------------
When driving,
You can always put on the brakes, no matter whether your doing 55mph or 95 mph, you can still take action to avoid an obstacle,
once you pull the trigger, there are no brakes, there's no calling that bullet back,
Old 05-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Break the law you get a ticket. Get careless with a gun and someone could die. I was taught not to do it. For those of you who didn't learn it that way, have at it. After all killing something is what counts.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Quote from Terasec "once you pull the trigger, there are no brakes, there's no calling that bullet back"

That says it all right there!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Break the law you get a ticket.
How many people dief from someone who was speeding? Isn't that why most speed limits are set as they are? Let me guess, you make a decision to speed, but since you've not killed anone doing it, it's OK!!
I was taught not to do it.
Were you not taught to not speed?
You can preach your "holyier than all", but the truth is, there are lots of circumstances where hunters are shooting sky ward, EKM listed several, but since YOU don't do it, it's not right!! But yet, there are speed limits that were set to protect, BUT yet you decide to speed. When you hits your brakes and yet are still in an accident, and kill someone, it's too late to slow down!!
Shees, you guys want to drag this out and make a big deal of it, BUT yet, apparently [u]NO ONE[u] here is saying that they make a HABIT of launching bullets in an unsafe manner!
Give it a rest already. It seems that some of you guys are bound and determined to convince everyone else that you are perfect!![:'(]

Quick Reply: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.