Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Old 05-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

ORIGINAL: shed33

10-4 KS! I agree 100%
took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never in my life would I take a skyline shot! Too risky.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

NO! About 4 years ago, my neighbor shot over the hill at a running deer. On the other side of the hill a local was driving down the remote dirt road, and unfortunately the bullet went through the truck, through his chest and killed him. A husband and father of 2 young girls. I dare anybody to tell those girls that shooting shooting over a hill blindly is okay! The only safe way to shoot is knowing where the bullet is going... no exceptions. Just as learned in basic Hunter's Education. Anybody that thinks different needs to re-take the course. Just my 2 cents.

I want the whitetail still hunters to chime in on this...

How about you guys that like creeping through the timber after elk?

I think that this "no exceptions" stuff is a little over blown...

I can give an example of a "sky line" shot I took, that happened to be on a caribou, that I would take every time.

A friend and I were floating a river in Alaska. We would get out and glass from the highest point. We could see for MILES. Nobody, nothing, nada...

I make a 30 minute "stalk" to intercept a group of caribou. My shot end up being about 90 yards... slightly up hill... at the bull as he was cresting a small ridge.

ORIGINAL: Bare Back Jack

Spyro-Gutsy choice.

Let me put up a senerio for ya,
Say you are on a Couse deer hunt in Mexico and you spot this big buck laying on a ridge on the skyline above you.So you take the shot and whack he hits the ground.Now you and your guide walk up the hill and find your buck but also 10 feet on the other side is another buck.Now don't say it can't happen,I've seen bullets do funy things when they come out the other side,say this bullet deflected down ward and hit this deer.Now you have a problem you have 2 deer down and now what do you do.

You can walk away

You can call the game warden and tell himyou have 2 deer down,and not only will you be ticketed,you will be fined and lectured for shooting on the skyline.

You can beg someone else to tag the deer.

Now wouldn't it been easier to know your target and beyond and miss all this trouble.
Well, we would tag it...

The ranch we hunt gets 16 landowner permits, which I buy from the landowner, and I maybe hunt 5-6 people on it per year.

Now if it was in the states... I'd turn myself into the warden and deal with the consequences.

Not to sound harsh but my concern is for human life... The 1 in a 1,000,000 chance that I shoot/wound another animal, along with the one that I intended to kill, would be a chance I was willing to take.

It seems that many believe that I am advocating shooting at some 20 or 30 degree angle or something in the middle of some public unit or farming area.

I am talking about extremely remote and/or large private areas.

SA
Old 05-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I understand where you are coming from Spyro,I've been in some very remote places where you could probaly shoot skyline and not worry about hitting nothing but trees or tundra.There is always that chane that there is something else there that you won't in tend to hit or kill,just to risky.

As for stalking the timer for elk,I known far to many guys who think in the mentality of "IT's Brown It's going Down",all I can do is make myself as visible as posbile.Thats all I can do,and hope that someone remembers their hunting saftey.
BBJ
Old 05-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

If anyone is there then anyone else could be there. There is no excuse in the world and no animal in the world that should intice any hunter to take a skyline shot. This is hunter saftey course 101 or even pre 101. That is something you don't do. No Exceptions No Time. Every darn year hunters are killed by boneheads that can't follow the laws of safe shooting.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:15 PM

If you take a shot in a remote location and don't have a incident then if the same situation comes up in a non-remote location a person could easily think well it'll be ok. I hunt alot with my kid and I always say to myself if I wouldn't do it when they are with me then I'm not going to do it when they are not. The rule should be cut and dry, not conditional.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:00 PM

ORIGINAL: James B

If anyone is there then anyone else could be there. There is no excuse in the world and no animal in the world that should intice any hunter to take a skyline shot. This is hunter saftey course 101 or even pre 101. That is something you don't do. No Exceptions No Time. Every darn year hunters are killed by boneheads that can't follow the laws of safe shooting.

I don't follow your logic here...

"If anyone is there then anyone else could be there"

I had just glassed the entire area was someone magically tellaported onto the tundra?

But I'll play along with you... how far off of the ridge top does the animal have to be before you can shoot?

2 feet?

10 feet?

50 feet?

300 feet?

What about possible ricochets due to rocks and etc?

What about shots in the timber? Is that a compete no shoot situation?

Interesting topic...

SA
Old 05-26-2005, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Super7

If you take a shot in a remote location and don't have a incident then if the same situation comes up in a non-remote location a person could easily think well it'll be ok. I hunt alot with my kid and I always say to myself if I wouldn't do it when they are with me then I'm not going to do it when they are not. The rule should be cut and dry, not conditional.
I respect your opinion and reason...
Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I also watched that show last night and the coues buck was totally skylined! I mean, if that bullet missed, it was flying off into never-never-land at least 4-5 miles distance. Nobody can use binoculars and see another person 5 miles away! I agree with the mantra here that it's "better to be safe than sorry"! People do get killed from bullets falling from the sky from miles away.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I also watched that show last night and the coues buck was totally skylined! I mean, if that bullet missed, it was flying off into never-never-land at least 4-5 miles distance. Nobody can use binoculars and see another person 5 miles away! I agree with the mantra here that it's "better to be safe than sorry"! People do get killed from bullets falling from the sky from miles away.

I didn't get to see the show...

Was the buck on a ridge top with the shot being level or even downhill... or was it a shot that had a good uphill grade to it?

SA

Quick Reply: Skyline Shots any thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.