Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Drew New Mexico Elk Tag(Jicarilla Res)

Old 05-25-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Drew New Mexico Elk Tag(Jicarilla Res)

I drew a tag to hunt October 5 thru the 10 on the Jicarilla Apache Indian Reservation. I know 2 guys that have been there several times and have both tagged out each time on 300 inch plus bulls. I have talked to the guide and the biologist out there and get great statistics on success rates. All these factors combined is why I applied for this hunt. I'm new here and was wondering if anyone here has hunted this reservation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Default RE: Drew New Mexico Elk Tag(Jicarilla Res)

no i have never hunted there...well reservation anyway...

one ? for u, what are u going to pay for that 300+bull? i am sure it is going to be alot, if u pay a outfitter and guide for res. land WOW!!![:-]
Old 05-25-2005, 05:10 PM

The tag was $4750.00 and the guide is 200.00 a day. I went this way because you don't have to buy hunting lic. or preference points etc., and I knew there was a good chance to get drawn. I didn't like the idea of waiting numerous years to draw a rifle elk tag in a high quality area. I drew the first time I applied which I may just be lucky.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:16 PM

i hope u have a good time and get what u are looking for! and remember we need pics.!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

super7-------I think I would set my sites a little higher than a 300 bull. A 350 class is more likely. The Jicarilla Res is 1st rate elk country. You'll see alot of elk & a lot of good bulls. This winter has has a lot of snow-----snow means good grazing=good antlers this fall. Good Luck---CB
Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I would wait for a better bull too I think when you have a chance in such a place like that give it a little time .But either way I hope you have the time of your life and do take alot of pics

Manboy Iam proud of you you are being nice
Old 05-25-2005, 08:06 PM

justhuntitall....u got beef with me?[:@]......

just kiddin! i would never go on that hunt, but i may never get the chance that super7 is going to have! i do hope he has a great time and shoots a big bull !
Old 05-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should be able to kill a nice bull. Make sure you follow their rules (laws) to a T. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:23 PM

I have hunted the Jic before. It was a cow hunt but there are lots of Elk. Many quaility bulls. Be very careful on the selection of the guide! Some will want to just road hunt. Others will work hard for a good bull.

It should be a GREAT HUNT!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM

The guide I selected was used by friends of mine. In fact they will hunt with him the week before I get there. They say he gets after the herd bulls till you say otherwise. They have high praise of him, so we'll see.

Quick Reply: Drew New Mexico Elk Tag(Jicarilla Res)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.