Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Trading Precision for Power

Old 05-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Trading Precision for Power

oldelk...if u were to tell me that u shot an elk and watched it fall down and then get up and run over the hill in the snow... then say u and 5 people could not find it in 3 days, u should be INSULTED, by not only me... there should be more replies on that kind of crap!

it is amazing the stories i read on this site![8D]and no one here will say ya u are full of sh!t!!! man up will ya![:-]
Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: manboy

oldelk...if u were to tell me that u shot an elk and watched it fall down and then get up and run over the hill in the snow... then say u and 5 people could not find it in 3 days, u should be INSULTED, by not only me... there should be more replies on that kind of crap!

it is amazing the stories i read on this site![8D]and no one here will say ya u are full of sh!t!!! man up will ya![:-]
You read all kinds of crap on this and every site. It does no good to insult people. It turns every thread into a pissing contest. Yes, If you wounded any animal in fresh snow You should be able to recover the animal. I can not in good conscience blame a cartridge on that. It sounds like poor shooting and even worse tracking. There is no need to insult people though. I'm sure he felt terrible about it.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

it is amazing the stories i read on this site! and no one here will say ya u are full of sh!t!!! man up will ya!
Can you please translate that? Two questions :

1. What kind of rifle do you use and what cartridge for Elk?
2. How far will a 1 lunged Elk go that is hit low in the chest?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Manboy,
I put that scenerio a true one at that on this board I new I would catch flack for it.
I used a tool that was not up to the job,and as much as I can say is I took credit for wounding that elk and it has NEVER HAPPEND AGAIN.Again you were not there,I was with several well veterend hunters whom have been hunting for 80 years combined nolage(sp) and the only thing we could think of is I hit a rib and maybe a lung by the color or blood and the air bubles in it.When one elk get into a herd of 30-40 head that are moving out and split and rejoin and slit again,blood gets trampled under,brushed from the trees.I said snow where he was shot I did not say there was snow everywhere there was less than 2 in on the ground.If the snow would have stayed around the next 2 days I'm sure I would have found him,but when temps go from 30 to 60 in one day,(if call me bullsh!t on that as any MT how fast the weather chages)the blood gets washed away,we followed the blood as far as we could the first day,I new he 3 shots in him if not 4,new one was in the lungs some where if only nicked,the others I was just puting lead in o him as fast as I could.I lost that partly to the caliber I chose and the other is I should have neck shot him like you,but hey I'm not god and I'm certinaly not manboy.
So can call BS on this and insult me and my hunting ability all you wan't,cause for one I'm never going to be hunting with you and the other I hope to never meet a negetive,self centerd A-hole like you.No take that back I will not insult you,I appoligize for calling you a A-hole,but the rest stands.
So insult all you wan't,keep them coming,here on out you blocked I don't need to read you BS.
BBJ
Old 05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: manboy

Take it easy. BBJ has been posting here for a while and he has my respect. I think he just posted a bad experience he had and was sharing it. It looks like to me he really tried to make an ethical shot and the elk ran off. It happens, it's just hunting. We all hate to see it. Thanks for posting your story BBJ, that's how we all learn.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BBJ, I am not knocking you for elk hunting with your 25-06. I know a few guys that use 25-06's for everything. They are darn good with there 25-06's. You know what they say about a man with only one gun.
I am just wondering if you owned a larger caliber at that time that you could have been hunting with?
I hunted with a 30-30 for 4-years. Then I jumped up to the might 270-winchester. I hunted with the 270 for 4-years. I killed elk with my 30-30 & 270. I bought my first rifle a 300-win mag when I was 20-years old. The other rifles were gifts. I do like to hunt deer with a light rifle from time to time. That is why I bought the 25-06 last year. I am growing fonder of the 25-06 every time I take it to the range. I shot a deer with it last year. My wife shot the first two deer with it last year. She said I really like "MY" 25-06.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes WK I owned several at that time that I could have taken,on that trip I had taken 3 rifles with me,never know when something happens.In the camper at camp I had a my 30-06 7600 and in the gun rack I had my first .338 M-70 I ever owned,I had just bought it maybe a week befor I went and accualy we had just sighted it in the day befor.I was not quite not quit comfotable with it yet,it was a little longer than my 25-06 and 30-06,and I just loved my 25-06 Ruger MK1,like I said I absoultly trusted this caliber,I would have taken a charging grizzly with it.I had killed elk befor with it but not at that range under 200 yds,and I pushed the envolpe with the shot I took,it had to be absolutly on the mark if to pull it off,and like I said at the shot he hit the ground,even when he ran we could see the blood on his side in the scope and the other guys watchin when he ran.The mark was 5-6 inches up from the brisket and 6 inches behind the shoulder.To me that should have been lung all the way,unless I clipped a rib and at that far the .25-06 would not have had the force to breack through a Rib like a bigger caliber(about 1000 lbs).I've skinned elk to see how strong a rib bone is on a elk,I've seen 06's mash against them at 200 yds or less.

I have a brother-in-law that used to use a 30-30 only up until last year,he just bought a new Ruger .280 in Feb.

Well I'm dropping this whole ordeal,I posted my OPION and my experiences on why I would choose power over precision,and to me if elk are involved that is my .338.
Take it or leave it for what is worth.

Thanks RBH

Have a good weekend all!!!!
BBJ
Old 05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my first .338 M-70 I ever owned,I had just bought it maybe a week befor I went and accualy we had just sighted it in the day befor.I was not quite not quit comfotable with it yet,it was a little longer than my 25-06 and 30-06,and I just loved my 25-06 Ruger MK1,like I said I absoultly trusted this caliber,
If I would have been in your shoes? I would have grabbed the 25-06 also. I know what it is like to own & have total trust in one gun. Over the last 5-years my gun collection has grown larger. However my core go-to-guns are still the same.