Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

I broke my Air Arms TX200 AGAIN!!!

Old 08-04-2024, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I broke my Air Arms TX200 AGAIN!!!

This information has taken close to 7 months to actually get compiled. Late last winter early this spring I started having troubles with my accuracy on my TX200, and my speed went from 668 fps down to 630 fps. But it didn't just stay at 630. It would be 630 then 650 then back down.

I found that my piston seal had a very deep crack inside of it, and at first I thought maybe that was really the biggest part of my problem. After replacing all the seals, the spring, everything. I did a full rebuild and it still shot the same.

When I started shooting Rock chucks this spring I noticed that my accuracy was all over the place and I just did not have the power to dispatch the Rock chucks like I needed. My groups were awful and I had to quit using the rifle.
I spoke with Air Venturi several times. They spoke with Air Arms several times. Basically I was told that since I worked on the rifle myself. I had voided the warranty. So if working on them voids the warranty, why do they sell parts? They honestly didn't know why the gun was behaving the way it was. But they thought I should send it in. Ya right!

After trying everything I could think of. I finally found out that my compression tube was completely worn out. The threads that go between the compression tube and the transfer port ( I think its called) were installed with a retaining compound from the factory.

The O-ring was bad and the retaining compound was also gone. The transfer port unscrewed from the compression tube with no resistance. Normally it would require heating with a torch.

The piston was also worn.

There are deep cracks that I am assuming is from the threads, where the 2 pieces come together. I could not determine if air was leaking there but I knew I was going to get a new piston while I was rebuilding.

A new compression tube and piston were ordered. The compression tube came in first and I finished the chuck hunting season.
My speed was back to 668 to 670 fps. My accuracy was back pretty much like it was new.

I got the new piston, and I finally got it installed. After testing with my Garmin Xero chronograph. I've got it back to where it should be.

The total number of rounds through the gun at this point is about 15,000.
Old 08-04-2024, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Great job on the " rebuild " job Ron . From the looks of it you did a WAY better job on it than they would have done if you sent it back .

WOW ! Over 15,000 shots through that rifle . How old is that gun ? Cant be that old since you mentioned warranty work . But 15k shots through any gun is a lot of shooting.
Sure does a number on those Rock Chucks !
Old 08-04-2024, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SportsmanNH
Great job on the " rebuild " job Ron . From the looks of it you did a WAY better job on it than they would have done if you sent it back .

WOW ! Over 15,000 shots through that rifle . How old is that gun ? Cant be that old since you mentioned warranty work . But 15k shots through any gun is a lot of shooting.
Sure does a number on those Rock Chucks !
I bought the gun in 2018. Since then I have killed 2136 chucks. I don't know how many pigeons, ground squirrels, tree squirrels, and skunks. I shoot that rifle all the time. My side hustle is pest control for farms.
Old 08-05-2024, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats on the rebuild job Ron!!! I still think Air Arms should sit down and learn from your experience. I'd bet they have never shot any of their air guns for over 1,000 pellets, let alone 15,000+. They should also make you a band Ambassador. Seriously. Congrats again!
Old 08-05-2024, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Congrats on the rebuild job Ron!!! I still think Air Arms should sit down and learn from your experience. I'd bet they have never shot any of their air guns for over 1,000 pellets, let alone 15,000+. They should also make you a band Ambassador. Seriously. Congrats again!
I asked if they had seen 15k shots on a full power model. I never got a an answer on that.
I'm 100% team Air Arms. The deeper rebuild cost 200 dollars total. A new rifle is between 800 and 1500 depending on what you get. I am just amazed at the ease of rebuilding. I am amazed at the accuracy. The farmers I shoot for expect me to put up some big numbers on chucks. The TX200 does that when the pups come out. I at 215 chucks this year. The season is about over.
I want to make a shout out to Garmin. I picked up a Xero Chronograph this year. I really didn't like my Oehler 35 from the 90's. It was hard to set up had to work.

The Garmin is a outstanding chronograph. Some of my work this spring on my rifle was at night. I was able to chronograph it even at night. And talk about easy to use. For a regular rifle hunter that never shoots past 300 yards. A chronograph is not worth owning. But if you have an air rifle and want to keep it at max power, you have to have a chronograph.

Last edited by idahoron; 08-05-2024 at 06:06 PM.