Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Does YOUR state allow air gunning for dove?

Old 12-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

No in what state?
Old 03-20-2022, 02:33 PM
Spike

If you are referring to mourning doves, FEDERAL regulations prohibit hunting them with an airgun.Specifically International Migratory Games Law Treaties regulate hunting of mourning doves. Laws of individual states vary quite a lot, but the Federal regulations apply to all states. In addition to any Federal laws, one must always check the State laws, and even the County and/or City regulations, as the local regs can be even more restrictive than anything on a higher level.game department specifies shotguns only for game birds as the mourning dove. In most states that I am aware of Collared doves are not a game bird and considered invasive. There is no bag limit on them and use of airgun is ok. So the answer is NO. You may only use a shotgun.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:21 PM
Spike

in my state you can hunt ring neck doves any time any way they are considered invasive species
Old 07-13-2022, 09:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by AlongCameJones
Do YOU air gun for any species of a dove? Please tell us about it.
Why you want to do this?
Old 08-11-2022, 03:22 PM
Spike

hunting dove is not legal, or is it?
Old 08-12-2022, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Looks like the OP changed his screen name.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:41 AM
Spike

If you're talking about shooting sad birds with an airgun, FEDERAL laws forbid it. Collared doves are not considered game birds and are invasive in the majority of the states I am aware of. The use of airguns is permitted, and there is no bag limit on them.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:59 AM
Spike

Yeah, my state does allow air gunning for dove; it's actually a pretty popular activity around here! Just make sure you brush up on the regulations beforehand, cuz you don't want to run afoul of the law!
Old 07-14-2024, 07:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by brightarticsnow
Yeah, my state does allow air gunning for dove; it's actually a pretty popular activity around here! Just make sure you brush up on the regulations beforehand, cuz you don't want to run afoul of the law!
There are more than one species of doves in the US. Federal law prohibits taking mourning doves with an air gun in all 50 states!