Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Old 06-17-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 13-Official Team 13 Thread

Here's 1

Old 06-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

#2 Yes those are real buck rubs.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

The work bench

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that is a REALLY nice place. I remember the pic of the buck rub staircase.

Did you do all of the building yourself, or contract it out? Those logs look awesome. How does it do, from an insulation perspective?

We insulated the chit out of our camp, but we still burn a ton of propane to heat it when we're there in the winter. (It doesn't help that when the girls are up there, they keep leaving the goddam doors open everytime they go out to use the facilities, and seem to enjoy the heat set at 1,000 degrees Farenheit.) It always seems hotter when you're wearing your beer coat, too.

If I can get a decent job - we'll probably be buying a lot and building a house sometime next year. I'm kinda exploring my options now. I like the log homes, but have no idea what it takes to put one together.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

My neighbor and I put the place together. He is a full time carpenter and I was a carpenter when I was in school. Putting the log frame up was a pain but we got to use the chainsaw alot.We had the schell up in a week.Placing the rafters and the roof deck was tricky because it was so steep. There was nothing really easy about this place because the logs shrink so you had to leave room for that. The upside it only cost me $400 a year to heat it and in the summer it is cooler in the cabin because of the moisture in the logs. The logs seem to retain heat in the winter and cold in the summer.
It is a 1100 SQ FT place with the loft.It cost me 52000 with the garage.

I hear you about the women. Mine leave the doors open, flushes the toilet every 10 minutes and freaks out about the ticks. The upside is doing tick checks on them.

When you start making some decent $$$ fly out for a weekend. I'm sure we could stay out of trouble.

Here it is in shell form.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan thats awesome! I want to do the exact thing someday after I purchase some land.

Cool stuff. Looks like a great piece of land too.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dan - great looking place! Love log/wood cabins! Just something about them....

Al - looks like you have a nice chunk of land to hunt! Should be able to find some sweet stand sites!

Fran- looks like you've been busy with your varmit rig and have a good handle on your fall strategy...

Mike - nothing like learning some new property on the fly - you've got enough whitetail knowledge that you'll be fine.

Was reading on IA's DNR site, and it looks like the draw results won't be posted for another month - it's like sitting on pins and needles.... Won't be all bad if I don't draw though, I'll just hunt around here that week instead...

Will be putting some trail cams out next month and be hanging stands soon... Got a couple of new stand sites I want to try this year... One of them should be corn which should be good, the other will most likelybebeans (assuming it get's planted within the next week), but still,there are some nice little draws and pieces of cover that should help hold the deer...

Expectations?? Not sure yet... If I draw the IA tag, they will be higher... Around home it just depends on what Isee on thetrail cams...
Old 06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Uh oh. We've been moved. You know what that means: Batten down the hatches, Hide the women and children, Sharpen your broadheads, Put your swim trunks away for the year. Fall, 2008 is upon us.

Time to win again.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like I have get get my shooting range set back up at work.

So do they put this thread in the new contest or do they create a new 1?

I'm heading up this weekend. I just bought a new wood chippervand have to try it out. The manual states you can put up to a 6 inch log through it, so I'm going to test her out.I might want to give it a custom paint job, like some shark teeth or make it look like a t-rex. We had the property logged a few years ago so I want to clean it up and put all the mulch on the atv trails.It's going to be like a park pretty soon.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to say that we we have to make a new thread once the contest is re-opened.

Them wood chippers are sweet, the company that has been putting up all the windmills has one so big i think you could put a whole cow in there and make hamburg. Im jelous.

Have had the trail cams out quite a bit latly havnt seen much for bucks except for on land that i cant hunt. Soon enough they will establish their food sources for the summer and i will be able to take some inventory.

Good day gents!

Quick Reply: THE WINNERS (Team 13)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.