Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Thanks Guys! Funny thing is I'm not that old...only 28....Too many Years of football and too much basketball are catching up with me I guess. I'm 6'3 260 but played basketball like a 150# guard... Plus I played Defensive end in college.I don't think my body was built to handle so much abuse. Just taking it easy now. Hopefully I will be able to get out for gun season.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey everybody,I've been hunting hard but no shooters are moving in the day time yet, at least not where I am sitting! I have a few night time pics on the camera of "big foot" and one new buck, but I'm only seeing does and young bucks in the day light. I've moved a few stands around and so mabey I'll get closer! Hope you guys are doing great1

Our gun season starts this Saturday : ( Oh, well, good thing is that those guys usually stay on the food plots anyway! : )
Trae
Old 11-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i have been hitting it hard ,but no kill yet . last 4 days have been tough with the wind ,wind,wind and rain and tonight even some sleet . i have had bucks each day but for one reason or another they just are not coming into my shooting lanes . have had three real nice ones and a couple of smaller ones . hope to bag one before shotgun season on friday . they are rutting hard now
Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep after it Bob yout time is comming. This cold weather has done the trick for sure.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, my buddy, Barry Lamoureux,just got back from Texas, he killed a monster! Take a look!

Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Talk about tall!!!! Congrats to your Buddie!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:28 PM

Hey guys!
Well I got back last weekend from my trip to Illinois with little more than a Walmart bag of meat to show for it.

The weather didn't cooperate until Wednesday, I had a couple of almost shooters at 5 yards but only when it was too dim to be sure. I was being a little extra cautious as I had never even seen a 130 or larger class buck in the woods and I didn't want to pay a $500 fine for shooting a "non shooter."

I must have seen 50 solid 110 - 120 class bucks, a lot of them mid day, but the big boys weren't moving in my area until darkish. I saw what I was later told was a 180 class 10 pointer at about 100 yards though. The guide was over in another piece of the farm and said he saw him going my way. Even at that distance his rack looked HUGE. It looked like he had someone's ribcage on his head!

Now I know what folks are talking about when they say they could fill their tags the first day if they shot "whatever walks by" The first day there I saw at least 10 spikes, 10 does and a couple basket rack 8s all within 30 yards! We're looking into a lease

I'll post a couple pictures of a few of the shooters that did come into camp.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been hunting and hunting, but no shooters are walking early enough to get a shot. Got a double today though, my freezer is now full, I'll be huntin' horns from here on out![8D]
Trae

Old 11-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good job Goose. Hope you have some luck gettinga buck.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:07 PM

Well boys,
Last hour and a half of the Massachusetts Archery season last night, a big-bodied 8 pointer came by at 30 yards. He came out making a racket after a couple turns on the "Lil Can" doe bleat.

He stopped every 5 feet walking through the brush trying to look out into the field I was hunting 50 yards into the woods from. After 10 minutes of waiting, drawing and letting down twice, my adrenaline dump began and the shakes had settled in pretty bad. I had never felt my heartbeat in my right knee before, but now it was thumping a tune on the seat of my stand.

The buck finally took another step forward which put his vitals in view just above some briars with his head behind a 12 " wide swamp maple leaner.

I tried holding steady and thought that I finally had a good hold with the 30 yard pin square in the center of his body right behind his shoulder. When I released, I heard a pretty tell-tale "SHNOCK", the sound of dead-wood.

As the buck spun and hopped back into the brush, I gave him a couple mouth "errrps" and stopped him twice. I was pretty sure he was unhit. I knew he was unhit when he came back 20 yards behind me and hung around for the last hour of shooting light. He never came out in the clear and I heard him walk away in the dark.

After dark, it only took me a quick flash of my flashlight to find my arrow impaled in the center of that tree. I couldn't pull it out so I unscrewed it and will bring a screwdriver with me to pry it out tomorrow (opening of s-gun season)

I'm pretty sure I probably flinched at the shot, maybe even torquing the bow. My nerves were pretty much gone at that point and I have virtually no reccolection of my shot process which I try to rehearse religeously (pick a spot, draw,(anchor on my) nose, (anchor on my) jaw, breathe-in-out-hold, steady, release). I think I managed to remember to pick a spot.

Anyhow, shotgun starts tomorrow. I'm going out before work with my s-gun for opening day, but I'll be hunting a piece of private land with my bow in mornings from then on. But my season is winding down and chances to get out are becoming slim!

Quick Reply: Official Team Pass-Through (22) Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.