Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

Glad to see you have it huntinwv. I don't know if you did it like I said or with cntrl v but cntrl v didn't work for me??? Good that you have it though.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:04 AM

Thanks guys!!!

I'm getting ready to plant Buck Forage Oats beside my corn either this week or next week. My cousin has already seen two big 8's and a monster 10. The camera is out. Season is soooo close but yet so far away...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

Hey guys! Looks like some of the bucks are starting to rub off their velvet here. I have seen two in the last two days that are in the early stages of losing their velvet. Only 37 days and counting, can't wait.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

When does everyone's seasons start? Mine starts October 1st.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

My season starts on Oct 1st also. Cannot wait. I have my bow all ready to go. Tuned her up again this week and getting great groups out to 30yds, but the shot better be perfect for me to take one at 30.

Getting ready to build my coup blind for my 4 yr old and myself. Need something we can sit together in and that can hide a little noise when he is there, really excited to actually take him hunting!!!! He is pumped to go and cant wait to get his bow from Santa this year, it may come early if the Mrs. lets me!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 AM

Oct. 15th. I will be trying to get a bear during the first couple weeks. I don't start hunting deer hard till Nov. I try to stay away from the honey holes till rut. I have several places to hunt which is a big bonus.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys....back in town. I was at Sesame Place with the kids for 2 days! [8D]Lots of fun, and a great family (water) park for any of you that ever want to make the trip. It's about 1/2 hour north of Philadelphia.

Now, back to what counts! Getting ready for bowseason!

ORIGINAL: 121553

Wv., while your gone for a couple days you may want to pick up some books on deer hunting for your team members. Things are going to be so choactic while your gone, by the time you get back and straighten most things out, hunting season we be over. I see confusion on your team already. If I can assist any of your teammates, I'd be glad to help in your absense.

Bobby <----------ELITE 8 STRIKE FORCE--------------<<<

Hey Bobby

Thanks for stepping in while I was gone and giving the guys a little pep talk. Looks like you got our team straightened out...they are seeing 130 class bucks, and drilling the bull at all yardages!

You guys are going down!
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

They have no ideal what a 130 is. Heck, your guys can't even add that high.
Anyhow, good luck to all of you, look forward to hearing some good stories.

Bobby
Old 08-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

They have no ideal what a 130 is. Heck, your guys can't even add that high.

Bobby
Sure we do...(2) 65" whoppers = 130"

Hey guys...my VA season (where I live) starts Oct 1st. My WV season opens 2 weeks later.

Early season is usually fairly slow for me in the areas that I hunt, but I'm out there. I have seen a few decent bucks over the years in early Oct....maybe this will be the year to bag one of them! I think I'm gonna go ahead a whack a doe or two early this year, so I can get that out of the way, and leave the rest of the time to concentrate on mr big

I was planning on hanging some stands today, but it's pouring down rain [&:]Still gotta get my Oats/Clover plot in also. Too much to do, so little time.

Does anyone on our team start before Oct 1st? Maybe we'll get an early kill to get us on the board!

What can everyone expect where they hunt, and what areeveryone's standards as far as shooting a buck? Personally I will not shoot an immature buck. My goal is to shoot a 3.5 & up, which can get kinda tough where I hunt.I gave up shooting the little ones about 6 yrs ago...they just don't mean much to me, and I'd rather let them walk and shoot a doe or two or three. But of course...I have to be realistic also....I can't hold out for a 130" buck either, or I'd probably never tag another buck ever. A 100" buck where I hunt is a good one, and a 115" + would be considered a REAL good one. There is the occasional whopper, but they are very few and very far in between. I'm gonna try hard this season to nail one though . At least I've seen some decent bucks this year, so my hopes are high.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Around my neck of the woods there are not many big deer. As far as judging them by score, no idea here. I go by spread and size of tines now. I let the young ones go and try to shoot decent to nice eights or better. Don't get me wrong, if it is a BIG six or seven, I will take a shot but it better be a nice one with decent tines and a sixteen inch or larger spread would be nice too. Really I am just looking for that nice buck that is better than most average ones around here. We have a QDM in one area I hunt which I like a lot so I can see more of the bucks mature a year or two but in the other area the neighbors and inlaws will shoot anything with leagal antlers while I am passing up most everything.

On my family property, we saw two nice 10 last year during season both with 17-18 inch inside spread. One had a lot more mass than the other and a little more tine length with the longest we figured to be around 9 inches. These are much better than average bucks for our area and I heard of no one who shot one. If they are around again this year, I hope to get a crack at one. I think the attached rub is from one of the big boys and it is the biggest rub I have ever found. Oh am I getting excited!!!!

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.