Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

Well folks, time to go out and see what happens. I hope to find one of the several bucks I have seen the last few months. I will let you all know how it goes. Good luck everyone!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

I will be heading out tomorrow afternoon (have to work) if the weather permits. It is supposed to get up to the high 70's and I prefer not to hunt in the heat like that but will be going anyway. I have waited too long for this so I will be out there on day one of the season. Heading out Sunday morning too, should be good since the nights have been cooling off nicely and we have been getting a trace of frost now and then. Cant believe the season is here and I can try and put all the preparation and practice to work!!!!

Good luck to all, lets get on the board in a big way!!!!
Old 10-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

I went out this morning and got skunked. I didn't see a deer all morning. I did see a skunk, raccoon, and a bunch of squirrels. I will be heading back out this afternoon. Hopefully Mr. Big will be willing and I will be able. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our opener was today but I didn't go out-this is a pic. off my Deck this morning. MaMa & her twins aren't to impressed that they are standing next to my Deer Target. They know I am looking for Daddy.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it was opening day. I gotta be honest...this was the worst year for me in a long time. I wasn't even close to being ready. I have just been soooo busy with all my other responsibilities, it stinks. Haven't gotten all my stands up. Haven't shot nearly as much as I wish I had. I organized my stuff today at 2pm.

My initial plan was to hunt morning and evening here where I live. My wife even planned to have the kids gone all day, so there was no distractions. (good wife!)Friday my son got sick, and my plans went down the tube. I was here this morning with him, which was ok. We watched the deer out front for a couple hours. LOL, typical. It was a beautiful morning though...in the 40's this morning. I was really wanting to be out there, but honestly I have been so overwhelmed lately, it was almost a relief I had to stay in. Doesn't that suck? Normally I have all my ducks in a row, an am ready WAY before the season starts, itching to go. Just didn't happen this year.

My son was feeling better this afternoon, so I did manage to get outfor the last 2 hrs. Got all my stuff together this afternoon, and headed out. 5 minutes after I got in the tree, I hear something crunching the potato chip leaves(it's very dry here...no rain in over a month). Her he comes. A forkhorn LOL. He piddled around eating acorns for about 20 minutes, then walked right in one of my shooting lanes and stopped broadside. I wish I could say I helped out the team, but nope. Way too small. I saw another doe a little later, and that was it.

I will try again next weekend.I only have the morning Sat to hunt, so wish me luck! I am heading to WV the following weekend for sure. Hopefully someone will get some bone and get us on the board! Good luck guys
Old 10-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Got out tonight after work, in the stand about 4:45pm and saw one doe on the way in but not a deer for the rest of the evening. The woods were very active though with the various squirrels, partridge, and birds milling around my food plot picking clover and acorns. Since putting in the clover, I have never seen so many partrige on my property. They are safe though since I really don't hunt them. I did see a small falcon and heard Mr. Owl tonight also, just enough action to keep me awake but still slightly boring not seeing any deer. Could be this 80 degree weather we are having, you think??? I knew it was going to be warm and movement would be slow but I just had to get out there. The temp did drop about 15 degrees by the time I got back to my truck, hope the morining is chilly cause I am going out there!!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

I went out again last night and again didn't see a deer. I did see 3 coyotes about 450 yards out. This is typical Iowa opener for this areathough. It is so warm and the deer are really comfortable in the corn. Things should start to heat up by next weekend. I willbe gone for a few days and then will be back to begin hunting again on Thursday. There is a cold front moving in so I look for it to be a good night. Hopefully everything will cooperate for me. I don't look to shoot my buck until November though. Good luck everyone else.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Just got in from this mornings hunt. It was a little more eventfull than last night seeing 3 deer, 2 does and 1 fawn. The fawn kept walking off and the mother would grunt and it would come bounding back each time from where ever it was. Wish my kids listened like that. Other than that, the same as last night, lots of birds, squirrels and acorns dropping.

Did do a little practicing out there with my hunting gear and ended up getting a robinhood at 30 yards. I shot 3 arrows the first hitting my homemade deer cutout in the heart, the second drilling the first arrow, and the third an inch to the right of the first two. That is a real confidence booster for me!!!! I guess I am going to have to stop group shooting at 30 yards also or I will be running up my bill on gold tips!!! Finished my morning cutting, splitting, and stacking some of the oak we have piled up for firewood, I am now officially tired and in need of a nap. Later!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it sounds like everyone is seeing some deer. I had an encounter Saturday evening with a dandy 8 point. I had been in my stand for about 2 hours, fighting off the one million or so seed ticks that had waged war on me, when I caught a glimpse of movement in a thick patch of brush 35 yards or so from my stand. As I watched I saw the unmistakable sight of a deer walking through the underbrush. This deer turned out to be a mature doe, feeding on the whiteoak acorns that littered the ground. As I watched her vacuum up the acorns, I spotted another deer feeding just behind her. I raised my 8x22 steiner's and observed his headgear. He is a heavy 8 that has long G2's, probably 11 inches. He's about as wide as his ears, so I'm guessing 16-18 inches wide. I had a great view of his head and neck but couldn't get a shot through the underbrush. I watched the two deer feed for about 5 minutes and then they slowly moved on. I never had a clear shot at the buck, but the deer never got spooked, so hopefully he'll make another appearance and give me an opportunity to shoot.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:11 PM

Glad to hear ya'll are getting out some.

I'm still waiting for season to start... I feel the same as Woodline as far as waiting for the big boy during Nov.

I know we are not on the board, but our time will come!!!

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.