Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official RACK PACK (7) Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:38 AM

Default RE: Official RACK PACK Thread(7)

well the deer havnt really started moving much around here if it cool off i shoud have some luck
Old 10-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I blew it today! Had a nice buck, probably pushing low 130's and very unusual. He had a mule deer rack! He was well outside his ears and very high with the Y on Y configuration of a muley. Had him at 12 yards, he came in from behind my right shoulder. When I drew, he stopped behind a little tree with just enough cover to make a shot risky. I was calm and collected and simply waiting for one more step when POP the arrow was gone harmlessly a foot on front of him. Either I didnt have my release properlyengaged or I bumped the trigger because my position was a little contorted.

The good news is that he didnt spook. Hehung around (without giving me anther shot) for a good 10 minutes and simply walked away. I actually saw him again from the truck not 250 yards away four hours later. I also saw him preseason at the same stand site. He lives there and I didnt spook him. I'm gonna shoot him!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sucks! I guess that's bowhunting.

I'm second guessing myself here fellas , I may have screwed up. I had a pretty decent 8pt under my stand this morning. Could have had a gimme shot anywhere from 10 steps out to 20yds but I held off and let him walk. I have him on my game cam pics that I posted earlier. I think he put on a couple inches since my game cam pic when he was in velvet. I would guess he'd probably be around the 100 - 110 mark. Considering the problems I'm having with my shoulder I'm thinking maybe I just gave away a gift.[&:]
Old 10-16-2005, 11:24 AM

I still have not seen a buck or taken a doe. I had my closest shot on a doe but he was just out of range. I am hoping to have some luck soon though.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 AM

no luck here yet the deer havnt started moving good yet i have only seen a few small ones im hoping it will cool off and get the deer moving in the next 2 weeks
Old 10-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't get out at all Sat. as the future in-laws were up, and I played golf with the fiancee's dad. Sunday morning was a bust as everything I saw was at least 80 yards away, but I did finally see a couple more bucks but nothing for shooters. I had decided to sit all day Sunday if I could stay awake being I was in "big woods" as in it runs for miles east and west and is probably 1 1/2 miles wide north to south. I for some reason see a lot of deer activity in big woods in the middle of the day, and it held true yesterday as I took the biggest of five doe at 1:30 yesterday afternoon. At least now I have my EAB taken care of for when it starts after Halloween weekend here in WI...man I can't believe the Do Nothing Right gang screwed the bowhunters the way they did this year as the only time you need an EAB is if you want to hunt the rut with a bow....SCHMUCKS!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 PM

i spotted 2 dandy bucks the other night where i hunt. both look to be 150" plus. they were running together with a smaller buck that i didnt get a good look at. they bolted as soon as the spotlight hit them 300 yards away. thank god for swarovski binoculars. trying my best to pattern them but this isnt gonna be easy. its hard to kill an animal that is smarter than me[&:]. i've narrowed them down to a 1/2 mile radius and 3 small bedding areas. now all i need is a pinch of luck. i only get to hunt there saturdays because gay ass pennsylvania doesnt let us hunt on sundays and im away at school during the week. so basically it boils down to i've got 3 more days to kill them. might try spending each day outside a different bedding area.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 AM

it cooled off here the deer are starting to move finally iff i get off work early im heading out if not ill have to wait till sunday
Old 10-23-2005, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

We're on the board!!! A friend of mine took some pics so as soon as he e-mails them to me I'll post them.
Here's the story;
Saturday afternoon I decided to go into an area of public land that I had never hunted but I had seen alot of activity in the area. I walk in and find a heavy trail and pick a tree to climb, I get situated by 3:45pm and start to wait. About 4:45 I decided to do some rattiling, I wait about 20min and nothing happens, I scan the woods still don't see anything so I sit down, Just as I sit down I hear something walking in behind me about 50yards away, I scan the woods and there he iswalking a trail that will take him to far out fora shot. I grabed the horns and lightly rattle again, he stops and looks around for a minute and then walks into some tall brush where I loose him.After afew minutes I grabed the horns and go thru another light sequence as I'm hanging up the horns I see him step out of the brush and begin to walk a trail that will bring him broadside @ 20yds. As he gets to my lane he steps behind a tree and I come to full draw. When he steps out from the tree he turns facing me and stops for about 20-30 seconds and then turns quickly around walking away from me I'm still holding back and then he turns around to walk back from where he came from giving me a perfect broadside shot. I release the arrow after holding back for what seemed like forever, the shot was high and far back but it caught the spine and he dropped. I immediately climb down and took a final shot thru the lungs. He's a small basket rack 7pt I know he's not big and not even close to my buck on the wall but after 3 years of hunting public property and getting skunked he is definitly a trophy. I'm still not sure what happened with my shot being high and back, I don't know if it was from holding back so long or if I hit a twig that I didn't see, I hat e spine shots but I finally took a deer on public land.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go hammerman!!!

There's nothing better than shooting a buck you called in with your rattling antlers.

Quick Reply: Official RACK PACK (7) Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.