Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team "Death From Above" (6) Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:45 AM

Default RE: Official Team "Death From Above" (6) Thread

He guys I'm still here. Am I still with the team? I know I haven't posted in a month.
Anyway, back out with the bow tonight. I missed a small8 point second week of season.
Amyway I hope to be contributing with the bow soon. The fireamrs side has been good. Got a year anda half old little8 point and 2 does. Hopefully the boys are still out there.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear from you.....I'm still at it also. Had planty of chances on smaller bucks....time is running out.......I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to hold out for a big one.

Keep at it!

Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Site Bouncer

Not much unlike Cloud 9, MN I too am holding outfor a nice big buck. I have seen them andknow they are in the area and that only makes it worse for me. Tonight I passed on two smaller bucks but I did shoot two does. One dropped right in her tracks! She was broad side at 15yds and the shot was a little high. The arrow hit the spine, but before I could nock another arrow to finish her off she died. That was at 4:00pm and by 4:20 I had another doe walk in (I told you guys there was alot of deer) wellshe was quartering toward me (not my favorite shot) at 20yds and just did start to bank off for a better angle. Well the arrow hit her in the rightfront shoulder and exited out behind the left side ribbs. She went 22 paces and fell over dead.

I had a greatafternoon butI too am starting to feel the pinch. I have never let this many bucks walk by in my life!It's just every time I see one (like every time I go out) it'snot quite big enough. There has been one very small eight point making the rounds lately and he has his left side antler rotated forward to the point where the tip is touching his nose. I want to cull him so bad but want to shoot a bigger one first. Any other year I would have arrowed a deer like that without even thinking about it, but I doubt if he will even score 80-90in

He has walked under my standfour times now! I have gotten a very good look at him. If I don't kill him he will have one hell of a timechewing next year when his antlers grow again. It may even start pushing into his snout,like I said it's touching his nose now! The right side is perfect but the left is forward...weird.

So I will keep up the quest for a shot at one of the bigger (120+) bucks but I tell ya, it's not getting any easier seeing all of these smaller ones walking around just begging me to shoot them!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi all, sorry no posts in a long time. The computer was on the blink. Im still in the game though. I let many small Bucks go buy this bow season. I did harvest 2 does with the bow. I had my son up to the big woods for the first time during the buck gun season, no luck though. He had a great time and he stuck it out all day with me in the blind. Still a week left in the gun season and I think I will get out a few days this week. If i see a nice buck I think I will take it, if not I still have Late archery season to try and score for our team. Good Luck All and be safe
Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Site Bouncer

Hatchet,

Congrats on the does, I don't blame you if you see a shooter during the gun season. It's hard to pass up a nice buck no mater what I have in my hands at the time.

Guys, I need your help. I was out again this afternoon and saw that small 8-point with the weird rack again. He was in front of me close for about 3min and I was able to see him pretty good as he was only about 10 feet away. He is smaller than I thought and would probably score somewhere in the 60-70in range. He has 8 scorable points but they look small to me.

My question is simple, should I shoot him? If I was convinced his antler would grow back normal next year I would probably pass, but looking at him tonight I didn't see any sign of damage that would have caused this. (like something happening while in velvet) I think it's just his genetic makeup. My delima is this, I want to shoot him because I think next year he is going to have a big problem with that antler going into his nose, on the other hand I would like to shoot a big deer for the contest. Not that I won't have a chance to take a nice buck as I still would have a buck tag, it's just it wouldn't be eligible for the contest.

I live in Illinois and we have two bucks to kill. I didn't shoot during the gun season so I have two to take with my bow. If I shoot him first he will have to be scored for the contest. If I wait to try for a bigger buck I may not get another shot at him. He seems to be in this pattern and most likely will stay in it until after the second rut ends so I have a couple weeks tops, but you never can tell. I feel I have a better than average chance to kill a 120+ in buck this year and I would like to be able to score it but that won't happen if I kill this one first.

So what should I do??

Oh BTW, I shot another doe tonight......This place is crawling with deer!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Site Bouncer

You guys need to help me out...I plan on hunting this weekend and odds are I will see this buck again. Should I shoot, should I pass....decisions......decisions.....
Old 12-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys. Haven't posted in a while. The good news is that I can still bow hunt and get a buck. Didn't even fire a shot during gun season. Just nothing in range for me not even a doe. I did see a huge 10 point @ about 300 yrds. Saw him twice traveling same route in and once out of the woods. So guess what stand I am going to hunt once or twice a week??? he should push mid 160's or better. Heavy mass real even. Just a monster. I posted a thread in the bow hunting forum about a buck killed about 10 mile from me check it out. He green scored 216. Just a huge buck. I'll keep you updated and remember here in Ohio we have until January 31st to bow hunt. : )
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Site Bouncer

Guys, I hope you don't mind butI decided to try and kill this buck if I see him again. I don't know if that will happen but I have been seeing him lately so odds are I will see him again. Now I don't know if he will give me a shot but I will take it if given.There is always the chance that I might kill one of the bigger bucks first so this thing may just turn out good........only time will tell.

I hope you all understand.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi All. I still have a Buck tag and our late archery season starts the day after xmass. so maybe I can score for the team. Would like to wish all a Merry Xmass and safe Holiday. Happy Hunting and be safe!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 12-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Site Bouncer

Well, as I thought I would, I spotted that small buck with the screwed up antler and shot him. I had a nice 8pt chasing a doe near me for about 5min but never came close enough for me to get a shot. Then about 45min later a doe walked into my lane and I arrowed her. She ran about 25yds and fell over. I still had about 1/2 hr of light left so I stayed put. Sure enough that small 8pt walked in. Hecame from the same direction he has for the last few weeks but this time I put an arrow in him. He measures 65 1/4 Sorry I couldn't shoot a bigger one first (I have two buck tags) but I just couldn't let him walk by again.

His left antler was touching his nose. I don't know if it would or wouldn't have gave him problems next year but I thought it was the right thing to do.

Here are some pics.

Quick Reply: Official Team "Death From Above" (6) Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.