Community

Team 9 "Shell Shocked"

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team 9 Thread

Congrats to all ofyou who haveshot birds! way to go!

I was onlyable to hunt the first weekend here in Colorado and it was cold and snowing with not much activity. Iclosed on a house the following week and have been busy with that fixing plumbing leaks, painting etc. Lots more to do but I hopeI can get in the woods for more hunting at the end of the week and maybe add another bird for our team.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Well guys I went out on Saturday morning. Set the decoys up and got in the blind. 10 minutes later the old boy gobbles behind me. He was so close it made me jump a little. 10 minutes later I hear him come out of the tree and fly down in the field about 75 yards away. I thought for sure this was going to be a 30 minute hunt. Well I had two hens come down in the field from the east and the gobbler was to my west. I thought for sure they would end up in the middle. Well he gobbled and gobbled and stared at my B-Mobile and two hens but just got disinterested and walked off. I couldn't really see that well through my mesh on my blind but he definitely was a long beard. I just figured he didn't want to come over and get his butt kicked. That is the first time the B-Mobile didn't get the birds close enough. My last hunt will be on Sunday. I hope to have better luck then. Good Luck Fellas!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I'm so blessed, I can't stand it ya'll. We had a couple of fellow handicapped hunters come hunt with us on Saturday. Actually they were "wounded warriors" that had just returned from.....well, over yonder. Anyhow, the first soldier came in early on Friday so we decided to ride him around and get familiar with one another. This fellow had never killed a turkey and was extremely excited so we got right to it. I had been seeing a gobbler in a wheat field all week so we cruised over to the field and there he was in full strut. Well, we have two handicapped hunters and the bird was too far to try and get close to so we waited him out until he was out of site and had a volunteer set up a ground blind next to the truck on the edge of the field. We got him out of the truck and while sitting in his chair we just flipped the blind over him. After a bit of calling with my Primos Jackpot Glass Slate, the long beard got interested. It was the first time that this young man had even heard a turkey gobble. It wasn't long before the long beard made his way back into the field and within a couple hundred yards of us. Ya'll, my buddy was tore up bad. I thought that he was going to have a stroke right there in the blind. Once the bird committed it was all over but the crying. Here he came, red head held high, peaking over the wheat trying to see his "girlfriend". Once the bird got within about 70 yards, he was ready to shoot but I told him to wait, be patient and enjoy the show. As if he were auditioning for a "strut your stuff video", the gobbler got about 20 yards away and let out gobble that thundered through the field. When I said "anytime you're ready" click....... KABOOM!!!! I thought that he was going to tear the blind apart trying to get out and see his prize. What a hunt!!!

On Friday afternoon, we had another hunter come in and we managed to roost a bird in the same field where I killed my big one. We got set up well before daybreak and heard him gobbling his head off not far from our position. It wasn't long before we heard him fly down into the wheat field. Just as expected he followed the mowed path around the field and wound up in our laps. It was his first harvest as well.

Both of our hunter's were successful in their hunts and we had a blast helping them. I am in no way a guide nor am I an experienced turkey hunter. As most of you know, my son and just started turkey hunting last year but we have an extremely healthy population of turkeys making harvesting a long beard a little easier that some places. Trust me, if a veteran turkey hunter came to hunt our place, he'd tag out pretty quick. Speaking of tagging out..... It was noon on the last day and I had 1 tag left so I put my gun in the truck as we started gathering blinds and stuff. It wasn't long before we rounded a curve in the dirt road and there stood a gobbler strutting. He was facing away from us and the wind was blowing pretty hard so I was able to step into the cut over next to the road and slipped up on this old boy.

We were so blessed to have harvested these three birds in only 2 days to wrap up a season that I will never forget. There is no way in the world that I could have done this without the help of the members of this forum and I really appreciate that. He had a 9 1/2" beard, 1" spurs and weighed 18 lbs.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

Iwas finally able to get back to turkey hunting after closing on a new house and repairing it's plumbing etc. Hunting in Colorado is always fun ware els can you see elk every day of the hunt and big horn sheep by your camp?
I shot this gobbler Saturday,I started in the roost area but the only two gobblers there where not interested in me or the real hens, when I could hear the gobbles getting farther away I stalked emand circled around until I got within 30 yards.I found one tom with hens, when he came out of strut I took him. I had to take the shot standing using a fallen tree to steady the shotbecause if I sat I wouldn't be able to see them.
Tom....
17 pounds
8 inch beard
3/8 inch spurs LOL

Having trouble loading a pic, says file is too big even at 1% LOL

Old 05-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Great Job guys. Big-That is a wonderful story. Great job.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Iwas finally able to get back to turkey hunting after closing on a new house and repairing it's plumbing etc. Hunting in Colorado is always fun ware els can you see elk every day of the hunt and big horn sheep by your camp?
I shot this gobbler Saturday,I started in the roost area but the only two gobblers there where not interested in me or the real hens, when I could hear the gobbles getting farther away I stalked emand circled around until I got within 30 yards.I found one tom with hens, when he came out of strut I took him. I had to take the shot standing using a fallen tree to steady the shotbecause if I sat I wouldn't be able to see them.
Tom....
17 pounds
8 inch beard
3/8 inch spurs LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Tom....
17 pounds
8 inch beard
3/8 inch spurs LOL

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

I finally got back to turkey hunting last friday, I hunted the afternoon andhad a great day seeing lots of elk but only a few hens, I got an early start saturday morning. I was in the middle of the roosting area and had two hens 10 or so feet away from me in different trees, the gobblers roosted a bit farther away than usual.

[/align]The hens never saw me and the gobblers where not interested in coming to any of us, so when the hens all left I stalked the two gobblers. I found one struttingwith hens in an open area, I was about 30 yards from them and couldn't get closer without being seen. My Rem 870 with Rhino choke will pattern well past 40 yards but I have never taken a shot at a bird past 20 and I had to take this shot standing while resting the shotgun on a fallen aspen to steady the shot because I couldn't see him sitting.

[/align]Merriam Gobbler

[/align]17 lb

[/align]8 1/8 inch beard

[/align]3/8 spurs LOL
Rem 870
5/9/09
Colorado Rockys

[/align][/align]

[/align][/align]
Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I've been busy here and thought I posted but no bird for me this year. Not looking like I will get a chance in the WI week 6. Hunted 2.5 days of the 5 I had but nothing would respond and not even much for gobbleing. Even the neighbors said there are not as many around this year as years past.

Congrats to everyone that did get birds.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
JW
Super Moderator

This is what I have to date and I caught a few not recorded as I read Team thread

okay-Team 9--------
1-300ultramagshooter--------
2-Bigtimer-1-1-71.7500-----
3-bullmoose38-1-3-58.6250-57.6200-28.5000---
4-Chris_H--------
5-eagerbeaver3483-1-2-64.6875-64.2500----
6-louddrummer69-1-1-65.1250-----
7-RockyMtnGobblers-1-1-42.2500-----
8-StruttinGobbler3--------
9-Theinespines3-1-2-48.5625-28.0000----
10-wihunter402--------
11-Strut&Rut--------
-Total-6-10-total 11 man 351.0000—total all birds 529.3700

Thepines and rocky mnt – I caught your scores

Quick Reply: Team 9 "Shell Shocked"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.