Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Most definitely don't "cut your losses" and give up.

From what you've said, I'd wait until morning. First, you don't know what the actual hit was. Even a good hit a deer doesn't often fall within that 75 yard mark. Waiting will give time for the doe to bed down and hopefully expire.

In the morning you can bring help and start from the last blood found. Pushing right away on a marginal hit deer can push further making finder her even more difficult, especially due to the rain. I've found all my deer hit in rain except one and 7 1/2 hours of searching went in looking for it. That was "back in the day" and believe now, depending on how I think it was hit, would spend even more time looking because it would be my obligation.

iSnipe
Old 06-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default couple of important points.......

I believe ethical hunting starts before you hit the field. I always check the forecast before heading afield, if there is rain for overnight, I have a cut-off time for a shot period. I believe if there is a chance I can't recover, I don't shoot. I mark my blood w/ bio degradable tissue, in case I have to come back at first light, which has happened twice. The shot sounds to me like it was forward, no arrow sounds like it was stuck in the shoulder blade. Blood trail disappearing, also tells me shoulder. Now, I've lost a blood trail twice only to find out that the deer had doubled back on me, found them both back the same way it came from within 30 yards. I would not keep searching that night, I want her to lay down and "hopefully" bleed out, the hit really bothers me, the sound you say doesn't sound good. Next morn fer sure.

Last edited by tight360; 06-01-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would either wait 2-4 hours then go looking for the Doe or wait til morning and start out right a daylight looking for her....either way its going to be a nervous and sleepless night!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Spike

Look for her.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me - I go get my big Streamlights, my tracking dog Mojo and a buddy if there's one hunting with me .... and start where the last blood was found. If she's down, she's found. I don't sweat "busting" the bedding area.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go get the deer. Entering the sanctuary may or may not cause a problem in the future. If you were that worried about preserving the sanctuary to kill a buck later on, should have never shot the doe. You are obligated to get the doe now.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by LKNCHOPPERS
Go get the deer. Entering the sanctuary may or may not cause a problem in the future. If you were that worried about preserving the sanctuary to kill a buck later on, should have never shot the doe. You are obligated to get the doe now.
AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shot the deer you own it, as that was your choice when you released.
You owe it to any animal you CHOOSE to end its life!
Hunters ethics, period...
At the very least you should put 4-5 hours of serious recon, IMO.

How about not taking the shot if you can't hit it lethally- hypothetically of course
Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
How about not taking the shot if you can't hit it lethally- hypothetically of course
Dude, you know that's bs. Anyone who has ever bowhunted for any length of time at all has made a less than perfect shot.

If it were me, I'd wait until an hour after the shot, and start looking again. During that hour, I would go get some help, if I could. If it started raining, then I would wait until morning and come back with all the help I could find.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

Myself I never shoot at a deer that close to dark. Infact I do not prefer to bow hunt in the late afternoon and have stopped doing it. But you must continue to look for the deer all night and even miss a days work the following day if need be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.