Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Opening morning

Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thumbs up Opening morning

Opening morning here in Idaho and we bagged our limit. Not bad for a wolfdog and a husky mutt.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

4 more this morning!
Wonder how much easier it would be with a real bird dog?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Spike

today was the second day n north Texas n the second day I limited out
Old 09-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mreed_86
today was the second day n north Texas n the second day I limited out
Nice work!
Week after next I'm going out with a buddy and his Visla. It will be nice to hunt over a dog that doesn't flush birds and make for a mad scramble to get the shots off.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

I've been hunting with my shorthairs and they are doing what they are supposed to but the issue I am having is I haven't seen many doves this year in Pa. Yesterday was the most I had seen and that was about 10 birds in 3 hours of hunting.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Opening day in SoCal was Sept. 1st, but Saturday was the first day I could get out.

Limited out - those "grey rockets" are a blast !!!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Spike

Your post cracked me up!

I hunt birds with my Rhodesian Ridgeback. Before I got him my husband's friends, who both have Labs, thought I was nuts to get a hound for bird hunting. The funny thing is, MY pup hunts, while both of their Labs don't, so now when they come to hunt with us, they get to hunt over a hound, lol.

Sounds like your dogs are doing great! Hope your luck continues through the season.

Elizabeth
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ekfla
Your post cracked me up!

I hunt birds with my Rhodesian Ridgeback. Before I got him my husband's friends, who both have Labs, thought I was nuts to get a hound for bird hunting. The funny thing is, MY pup hunts, while both of their Labs don't, so now when they come to hunt with us, they get to hunt over a hound, lol.

Sounds like your dogs are doing great! Hope your luck continues through the season.

Elizabeth
Nice!

Another limit!

First Dusky of the season. Went out earlier this day with some friends. Their Visla and my dog flushed 14 birds. They hit 3. I went out after. My dog flushed 7 more I hit 2.

My dogs first retrieved bird. I swung and hit this bird and was getting ready for another when my dog dropped this one at my feet and went back to hunting. I was more than shocked and very proud!