Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
My first bow killed Gobbler >

My first bow killed Gobbler

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My first bow killed Gobbler

Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default My first bow killed Gobbler

I have a blind set up and my wife tryed hunting from it late this morning.
I texted her about 12 noon and asked if she was seeing or hearing anything. She said, "No", so i asked her to pick me up and I would take her to try and find a bird. We spotted a few birds working an alfalfa field and knowing the landowner, I called to get his blessing. He said "sure, be safe."
We made a short 1/4 mile stalk and found a cut from cattle walking down a hill next to the fence line. There wasnt a bird in sight so I started stroking the Ole Yeller call. After about 25 minutes without hearing a gobble, I was ready to give up, but about that time, I was just sure i could hear a Tom drumming, sure sounded like it,...never heard a single gobble, but the next thing you know, this Tom is drumming real close and you can hear him walking thru the leaves of a very small patch of woods in front of and mostly to our left.
I could see his head from time to time from less than 10 yards and as he was passing thru the trees, he seemed to be trying to get around us. I had the clean shot on him from 20 yards and let my Crimson Talon xt fly and buried it square in his back. He ran off into the draw and expired after crossing some water in a drainage bottom.

This is my first bird with a bow, no blind, just my new ACU camo!

My Kansas Rio weighed 18.5 lbs
beard is 8 4/8"
spurs are 7/8"

Equipment
Mathews zmax
Crimson Talon xt
Radial X weave 300's
Nikon Optics
Knight & Hale Ole Yeller slate
Attached Thumbnails My first bow killed Gobbler-p1011533.jpgsm.jpg   My first bow killed Gobbler-p1011539.jpgsm.jpg  
Old 04-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by zmax hunter
I have a blind set up and my wife tryed hunting from it late this morning.
I texted her about 12 noon and asked if she was seeing or hearing anything. She said, "No", so i asked her to pick me up and I would take her to try and find a bird. We spotted a few birds working an alfalfa field and knowing the landowner, I called to get his blessing. He said "sure, be safe."
We made a short 1/4 mile stalk and found a cut from cattle walking down a hill next to the fence line. There wasnt a bird in sight so I started stroking the Ole Yeller call. After about 25 minutes without hearing a gobble, I was ready to give up, but about that time, I was just sure i could hear a Tom drumming, sure sounded like it,...never heard a single gobble, but the next thing you know, this Tom is drumming real close and you can hear him walking thru the leaves of a very small patch of woods in front of and mostly to our left.
I could see his head from time to time from less than 10 yards and as he was passing thru the trees, he seemed to be trying to get around us. I had the clean shot on him from 20 yards and let my Crimson Talon xt fly and buried it square in his back. He ran off into the draw and expired after crossing some water in a drainage bottom.

This is my first bird with a bow, no blind, just my new ACU camo!

My Kansas Rio weighed 18.5 lbs
beard is 8 4/8"
spurs are 7/8"

Equipment
Mathews zmax
Crimson Talon xt
Radial X weave 300's
Nikon Optics
Knight & Hale Ole Yeller slate
Great story and good job!