Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Love my Stevens model 200 >

Love my Stevens model 200

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Love my Stevens model 200

Old 12-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default Love my Stevens model 200

Well, I got my first whitetail with my new Stevens model 200 .243 today. Got a Bushnell 3-9x50 scope on it, and using Rem 100 gr core lokt ammo. Took a nice doe at about 250 yards. Dropped her right away. I admit, the rifle wont win a beauty contest, but its a lot of gun for the price. Ihad always heard a lot of people putting down the .243 as a whitetail cartridge, but I guess they just couldnt put the bullet where it needed to be.I definitely recommend this rifle for the hunter on a budget that wants a do it all gun. Now that deer season is coming to a close, time to try it out on some coyotes. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Love my Stevens model 200

While the stevens model 200 is usually an excellent shooting rifle for the price, you're sadly ignorant in saying that just because some of us prefer something larger than the .243, for example the 7mm08 or .284 in my case, that we cannot precisly place the bullet. Do you hear me saying that about people that use 30-06 for example? There are many factors that come into play with terminal ballistics, and you're basing a complete opinion AND resulting assumption that we can't shoot straight on shooting ONLY 1 deer??? You're dead wrong and you know it. Are you just trying to start an argument you cannot win? Maybe you've just developed a taste for crow. I'm very glad you have a good shooting rifle, just don't start accusing the rest of us of not being able to shoot!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: 19Danny77
Well, I got my first whitetail with my new Stevens model 200 .243 today. Got a Bushnell 3-9x50 scope on it, and using Rem 100 gr core lokt ammo. Took a nice doe at about 250 yards. Dropped her right away. I admit, the rifle wont win a beauty contest, but its a lot of gun for the price. Ihad always heard a lot of people putting down the .243 as a whitetail cartridge, but I guess they just couldnt put the bullet where it needed to be.I definitely recommend this rifle for the hunter on a budget that wants a do it all gun. Now that deer season is coming to a close, time to try it out on some coyotes. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Alright, I need to butt in here. Stalkingbear, I think you sir are out of line. You have no idea how he intended that comment. I'm sure he is refering to people that have shot deer with a .243 and had them run hundreds of yards. In that case, most hunters won't admit that it was a bad shot, instead blame it on the cartridge. Hell, I've even blamed it on the cartridge. So, beforeYOU plan on jumping down peoples throats and starting arguements YOU cannot not win, I would take a deep breath. [/align][/align]This is a forum where people share ideas and opinions. I'm sure if 19danny77 knew that he would get crucified for making a statement, he would have kept HIS comment to himself. You sir are what iswrong with forums today. So get off your pedestal and relax. You are no better than anyone else here. [/align][/align]Im going to go eat some crow now.[/align][/align]Later[/align]
Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

The post did not elude to a need to move to bigger calibers at all. It only stressed the criticality of bullet placement. He is proud of his rifle hence the post name. It appears that a gross set of assumptionshave beenmade with an apology in order. Theseposts are deadend when that type of feedback is given.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Spike

Thanks adam and rozman. Y'all know what I meant in my post. I surely didn't expect to offend anybody.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

No,I don't feel I was out of line at all THE EXACT WORDING AS WAS WRITTEN he implied people with larger caliber rifles would "flame" him for using the .243, at the same time implying people with larger caliber rifles couldn't hit properly. If he'd worded it differently, I wouldn't have came down on him.Also,you need to stick around a lil longer before you start saying people are "on a pedestal". You in fact, are out of line without letting himclarify his intended statements better. Perhaps THEN we would have gotten to an understanding without your uninformed chiming in. IF you'd been a member here a lil longer, and read some of my posts, you'll clearly see I don't consider myself any better than anybody else.

ORIGINAL: adam11082

Alright, I need to butt in here. Stalkingbear, I think you sir are out of line. You have no idea how he intended that comment. I'm sure he is refering to people that have shot deer with a .243 and had them run hundreds of yards. In that case, most hunters won't admit that it was a bad shot, instead blame it on the cartridge. Hell, I've even blamed it on the cartridge. So, beforeYOU plan on jumping down peoples throats and starting arguements YOU cannot not win, I would take a deep breath.
[/align]
[/align]This is a forum where people share ideas and opinions. I'm sure if 19danny77 knew that he would get crucified for making a statement, he would have kept HIS comment to himself. You sir are what iswrong with forums today. So get off your pedestal and relax. You are no better than anyone else here.
[/align]
[/align]Im going to go eat some crow now.
[/align]
[/align]Later
[/align]
Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Stalkingbear,
I readthe post again and I still do not get anything negative from it but maybe he can provide clarification. "They just couldn't put the bullet where it needed to be" is the statement that may be ruffling feathers here. I am not here to assume, imply or criticize people's beliefs.

I too am interested in a .243 and have considered the Stevens but when I look at the .25-06it becomes a real toss up for me. I have read many a posts comparing the 2 cal's.I would use either cal for eastern whitetails..what's your opinion? I already have a .270/.280/30-06 and 35 Rem for deer so I am lookig to fill that .24-25 cal slot.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok I guess I read it wrong and totally took him wrong. Guess I flew off the handle a bit prematurly. Since you already have an rifle based off the 30-06 case, the .243 win or .257 roberts would be perfect for what you want. I guess I'm too used to the "nimrods" flaming me for badmouthing their beloved Remington model 710s and their 30$ scopes being better than "high dollar junk" as they put it. Since ammo for the .257 roberts is going to be harder to find, the .243 gets it hands down. The .243 IS an excellent cartridge, performing beyond what it's case size/powder capacity would suggest, as do all the cartridges based on .308 case.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

You are still not making any sense to me. So now my post count judges on how I can reply to a post? If i look at the dates correctly, you have been a member for only 5 months longer than me......weird. Maybe if I sit at my desk all day and reply to posts and get over 2000 then you will take me seriously.

Happy Holidays
Adam
Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a user with several different usernames to me...

Quick Reply: Love my Stevens model 200

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.