Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics >

First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics

Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics

Well guys, it all came together this morning.
I'll start the story off from last night's (12/6) hunt. My friend and I sat in the shed next to a stand we have hung so that he could film me. We sat about 2 hours, and saw 5 deer. Nothing close enough for a shot, but got some AWESOME footage. Fast forward to about 7 last night, we call my friend who wanted to hunt with someone in the morning since he's tagged out. He came over to hang out for a while, then we asked if he wanted to go sit in the shed with us for the morning hunt. He obviously said yes.
We got in bed later than we wanted (about midnight) and woke up at 4:50, turned that alarm off, then got up for the next alarm at 5:00. At around 5:50, we hopped in his car, with the bow, and camera for the 5 minute drive to my aunt's house. We got in the shed a good 25 minutes before daylight, and could hear deer walking all around us when it was too dark to see. Well at about 6:45 my friend that was filming whispers "Rory, do you hear that?", he was talking aboutdown a hill in a finger of woods.He kept turning around to the fence crossing, and he finally sees the deer. By the timehe sees them, they're at 25 yards, coming up the hill towards us. It was the adult doe and.5 year old doeI passed up last weekend, I'm positive of it.They walked within about 8 yards of us, and did so ratherquickly. We thought it'd be too big of a risk to turn the GL2 on, since it makes a noise when you do. I got busted drawing twice (not totally busted, she just caught movement). When she started walking with her nose to the ground again, I drew from my seat. I quickly put my first pin onthe bottom of her lungs, and checked my form quickly.I shot her at about 13 yards, completely broadside. She ducked pretty hard at the shot, and I ended up clipping one lung, and hitting the spine. I put the other 2 arrows I had in her, and slit her throat. I feel I did what needed to be done under the circumstances. My friend turned on the camera right after the doe dropped, and got on tape me saying some "not so nice words". So I don't think I'll put a link to that up when I get the tape.
The deer's all cut up, and all the meat is being cooled in bags right now[8D].
I have to thank all of you guys, I've learned a ton about archery here in the little more than a year that I've been here. Iespecially have to thank Will (OKbowhunter) for sending me a sticker, he knows what sticker I'm talking about. I looked at it as I was drawing back Will, and it helped.
This is my 8th deer, 1st bowkill, and 2nd deer this year. Between the three people that were in the shed this morning, this is the 4th deer we've bowkilled this year. This is the 3rd deer killed from this stand/shed combination this year, 2 from my brother and 1 from me. This is the 8th deer my family's killed this year, and probably won't be the last. My dad shot one 12/6 also.
I was using 100 grain Shuttle-T's, anda Truth 2 (64#/28").
So here's what I know most of you are scrolling down to see

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics

Awesome Rory, Congrats! Can't beat the first!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright Rory...fantastic!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

This pic is worth 1,000 words. Congrats.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

way to go man.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wayto go young man. I love seeingyou young guys getting it done.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

This pic is worth 1,000 words. Congrats.
I thought the same thing Jeff!

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!......Way to go, you sure waste no time butchering them up!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:45 AM

There is nothing like the first. You will never forget (I can VIVIDLY remember mine). I bet you're still shaking

Congrats again man. May the power of the sticker be with you[8D]
Old 12-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

There is nothing like the first. You will never forget (I can VIVIDLY remember mine). I bet you're still shaking

Congrats again man. May the power of the sticker be with you[8D]
You bet I'm still shaking. Like I said, the sticker really helped! I was shaking like a leaf until I looked at that and breathed a few deep breaths[8D]

Quick Reply: First bowkill! Long read, and lots of pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.