Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Secret spot seed

Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default Secret spot seed

I finally found the place that I have seen great sign (scat, tracks, rubs, and scrapes). It is fairly open to sunlight, and looks like Im hanging my climber in the area. I was out shopping for BH's and markers and saw Whitetail Institutes Secret Spot seed. Its supposedly a throw and grow with minimal prep.

Anyone ever used it before? I have two main plots, about 2 acres total with clover/chickory with alpha rack mix, and one with just alpha rack. The drought has really stunted any growth from these plots so I overseeded them with rape last week to add some greens.

Anyone ever had any luck with the secret spot seeds in the woods? Should I at least clear the undergrowth and hand till with a garden tiller?

Any help is useful

Old 09-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Secret spot seed

ORIGINAL: Hoyt_Viper

Should I at least clear the undergrowth and hand till with a garden tiller?
Absolutely !! Secret Spot may be advertised as a "throw-n-grow", but I've found it to be very picky in terms of where it successfully grows. In the woods, where the soil is typically very acidic (4.5-5.5 pH levels) due toyears & years ofdecomposing leaves on the forest floor, Secret Spot will need some help via Liquid Lime (not pelletized lime that takes 3-6 months to affect soil pH levels, the liquid stuff that works inside of 30 days).

The more you can clear any undergrowth, the better the chances ofthe Secret Spot seed to establish themselves into a vigorous, healthy plant.

Also, one last comment-Secret Spot isn't Extreme, no water- and it won't grow/stay alive.

Rob