Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My 2007 Kansas buck mount!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 2007 Kansas buck mount!

Hes not quite ready, but you can get the idea from these pictures. The base is going to have grass and a rock on it and he is not painted yet, but I should have the finished product in a week or 2. I couldnt wait to post these though!

One more...

Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My 2007 Kansas buck mount!

what an awesome, awesome deer.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW what an awesome buck!! Congrats!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

AWESOME!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

he is a beautiful buck congrats
Old 08-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

That`s rediculous!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Q.B. GREAT buck and looks like it going to be a beautiful mount ...but now youHAVE to share the story with us bro !!

dd
Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

Q.B. GREAT buck and looks like it going to be a beautiful mount ...but now youHAVE to share the story with us bro !!

dd
Thanks, heres how it all went down.Well I met a guy who had a bunch of land up in Kansas (I live in Oklahoma) and got the invite to come up and hunt on his place. Hesold mea transferable landowner tag for black powder so I went up in September to try my luck. During September I sawa ton ofreally nice bucks, one that was probably pushing 150" as a 10 point but decided not to shoot anything. On the last evening, I saw a really nice buck. If his rack had matched up it would have gone in the mid 160s" and I would have shot him in a heartbeat, but it grew really funky on one side. On the last evening heextended the invitationforme to come back up and hunt during rifle season, which I gladly accepted. Needless to say the rest of the fall was pretty tough to get through because I was so excited about going back to KS. About the 15th of November I got a call from him saying that he had seen a giant Non-typical near the stand I spent most of my time in. He figured it may gross in the high 180's or even the low 190's. This just made the wait a lot worse knowing there was something like that out there.Anyway, fast forward tothe hunt. The nightI arrived they saw some really nice deer out there but they hadn't seen the big NT since they called me.He was niceenough to let me hunt the stand where they saw the big deer and I wasn't going to settle for anything less than this buck, at least for the first few days. On morning #1, I saw 7 bucks and a few does, including one giant in the distance that looked like he may have been pushing boone, but he was about 1/2 mile away chasing a doe and it was pretty hard to judge him through 9x binos, especially since he was hauling ass after that doe. I got a call at about 10 am saying another one of the guys hunting with us just killed a monster 180"12 point and I decided to get out of the stand and go take a look.After lunch I hurried out to the stand because I wanted to sit as long as I could before dark. The bucks stillseemed to be chasingprettyhard so I figured I would see at least some deer movement earlier than normal. At about 3:45 a 140" 9 point came out of a tree line about 100 yards away and headed up into the CRP to bed down. As I was watching him out of the corner of my eye, a doe came from the same tree line and turned her head back to where she came from. I thought "oh boy, this is it!" as I glassed the trees trying to pick out movement. As I was glassing, I saw a young buck with only one antler coming towards the doe with his head to the ground. As I was scanning back towards the doe with my binos, I came across an ENORMOUS rack sticking up through the grass and I about fell out of the stand. I started to get a little excited because I knew this was the deer I was after, but quickly calmed myself because I knew if I thought about it too hard, I could screw this thing up (there would be plenty of time for excitement after the shot). Well, he started out towards the doe (which was now at about 100 yards) but when he got to about 150 yards from me he stopped and just looked around really slowly, almost like he knew something wasn't right. He never did look at me, but whether he "sensed" something wasn't right or not he turned back towards the trees and I knew it was now or never. I had practiced out to 200 yards so I was pretty confident at 150 with my muzzle-loader. At the shot he just kind of tip toed into the trees. I knew he was hit but I did not see him fall. The excitement started to overcome me so I decided to get out of the tripod and just sit underneath it for 30 minutes to regain my composure. When I walked to the spot where I shot him, I found no blood at all. I started to get a little worried but decided to look where I last saw him. As I looked up, there he was not 20 yards away laying just inside the treeline. I dont know if I will ever top this deer but I know that this moment was enough to stay with me for many, many seasons to come.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck!! Good job holding out, it's not easy to do sometimes!! Congrats!!
Old 08-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know for sure, because in Kansas you very well could, if you will ever go bigger.

From now on you are gonna feel bad to kill whatever you do. Great buck man

Quick Reply: My 2007 Kansas buck mount!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.