Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Has anyone done a DIY stock? >

Has anyone done a DIY stock?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has anyone done a DIY stock?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Spike

Default Has anyone done a DIY stock?

I've been messing around with my old Marlin Model 60 .22 lately and was thinking about how it would feel and look with a different stock. I did some searches online and did not find anything very impressive, finding mostly synthetic options or replacement OEM. The current stock is nothing spectacular and doesn't fit me well enough to use the open sights. I was wondering what would be involved with carving/building my own, possibly a thumb-hole type design like this (just the design, not necessarily laminate):

I see there are some blank dealers but any info that anyone can share on how-to's, blank/partially finished stock dealers, the suffering I'm setting myself up for, etc. would be appreciated.

It was my late grandfather's gun and he liked wood working. My other grandfather is also a woodworker and gave me some of his old chisels and wood tools. I thought it would be fitting to give this little gun a quality stock that would have a ton of sentiment attached.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone done a DIY stock?

I don't even know where to begin advising you for a first project. First,I would advise making a stock for something worth well,a bit more. Secondly,thumbholes are a nightmare for a raw beginner. Stick to the basics and go SLLOOWWW.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought a couple of thumb hole's from Richard's Microfit. You can get any grade of wood you like. The stock's are great. But they are SLOWWWWWW. Below is a picture of one. Tom.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've gotten some good advice so far. The only thing I would add is that you contact a stock supplier you choose and see if they can or will duplicate your existing stock in your choice of wood on their machine. If they can't or won't, I advise you to look elsewhere. For a beginner, a nearly completed inletted stock is important. Some basic tools will be required, and as you have been told before, GO SLOOOOWWWW!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I don't even know where to begin advising you for a first project. First,I would advise making a stock for something worth well,a bit more. Secondly,thumbholes are a nightmare for a raw beginner. Stick to the basics and go SLLOOWWW.
I guess in this case, the monetary worth/value of the rifle is in the eye of the owner. It was one of the few things I got from my grandfather when he died and is my first rifle. I would sellevery other firearm Iown before this one (minus the first shotgun I received from my other grandfather).

I have a couple emails into Wenigs and another place that do the inletted stocks. No response yet so I may have to call.

Thanks!