Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Where have you been all my life?  Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review.. >

Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

Old 01-22-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

I’m wanting to thrust myself into the world of 3D this year, and since my hunting sight is a single pin slider I would have been tossed into the open class. I simply cannot hang with those folks as yet. To avoid that, I needed a set of multiple pin sights. I did some internet shopping and found a couple I was interested in.

The Sword line up of sights grabbed my attention, and after looking at them at the ATA show in Indianapolis, I decided to purchase the Apex Micro 3rd plane. The people at Sword are super friendly, very easy to deal with, and run a first-class company; here is my review of this sight.

I ordered mine in .010 pins (they offer .010, .019, and .029) with alternating green and orange pins. You can custom-order whatever pin colors you want.The green is much brighter than the orange, which I like because it adds good contrast between pins.If I hadtwo green (or evenone green andone yellow) pins set very close together, they would be difficult to distinguish.

[/b]
The white sight housing, which is 1 ¾ inches in diameter, lines up perfectly with my peep sight and is very easy to see.For those overcast days, or if you are shooting indoors where it can sometimes be a bit too dark, simply turn on the includedthree-phase light and these babies glow! The fibers on this sight are quite bright on their own, but I like the added light if needed.By simply turning the top of the light, you can choose betweenthree brightness settings.The pin housing is also threaded to accept the available 2, 4, or 6 power lens.And of course, each individual pinis adjustable.

[/b]
[/b]
Another feature I like is the dovetail bar, which has recessed holes to accept the thumb screw which of course tightens the bar in place.I have to remove the dovetail bar to store my bow, and with this feature you can install your sight in exactly the same place it was when you removed it.

[/b]
Gang adjustments are very simple, and this sight comes with 1 ½” of gang adjustment, and the blocks are laser-engraved for simple visual verification.Simply loosen the allen screw and move the sight housing. This sight is not micro-adjustable, which some may not like but I find to be of no real consequence.I know others will disagree with that, and that’s ok. I see the advantages of micro-adjust; I just didn’t want it.

[/b]
The Apex 3rd plane --as the name implies --is 3rd plane adjustable and set at the factory.However, if you need to make adjustments, they are quite simple.I’m still in the process of learning what 3rd plane is, and what its benefits are... but as I understand it, you need your 3rd plane to be right when shooting up/down hill.If your 3rd plane is off, you will get a false reading on your bubble level causing to you torque the bow without even knowing it.I am not going to go into much detail here as I don’t want to pass along bad information.I believe one of our fellow HNI’ers will be posting a “how to” thread regarding 3rd plane.

You could spend an awful lot more on a pair of sights, but at $118 the Sword Apex is mighty hard to beat.I think that's the part that amazed me the most, I expected it to be MUCH higher.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Default RE: Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

Good review, bud. I've been looking into these sights as well. Let me know what you think after you have it awhile.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

Sweet mobow,, I think I may have to look into those too. They look like a nice piece.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:41 PM

Looks good buddy...you confused yet with more than one pin staring at you everytime you draw back?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Looks good buddy...you confused yet with more than one pin staring at you everytime you draw back?
No, not yet....I slid the other 4 pins out of the way when I sighted in the 20.....LOL.....
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

that looks like a real sweet sight good luck with it
Old 01-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice review mobow. Now the only thing you left out was $. How's it cost comparison to other sights of it's equiv on the market?

When Brian was here (BPBowhunter), he had a Sword on his Allegiance. I was impressed with it.

I'm in the market for another sight, now I can buy a third Viper Predator PRO-MT or look another line, How's the microtuned differ from that one you have?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice sight for sure! I personally am not crazy about all those pins. Then again I do not shoot compitition!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Nice review mobow. Now the only thing you left out was $. How's it cost comparison to other sights of it's equiv on the market?

When Brian was here (BPBowhunter), he had a Sword on his Allegiance. I was impressed with it.

I'm in the market for another sight, now I can buy a third Viper Predator PRO-MT or look another line, How's the microtuned differ from that one you have?
You know what Rob, you're right. Edited for that info, thanks. Rob, I have limited experience with micro adjust pins, so I couldn't give a real fine answer on that.....BUT, the pins on the Apex are pretty simple to make very small adjustments with. And especially the gang adjust. With the lazer markings for both windage and elevation on their respective blocks, it's very simple to see how much you've moved it. I sighted in my 20 yard pin last evening in 6 shots....Dead X on the 6th....
Old 01-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good price mobow, quality sight. Nice, congrats. I'm a big fan of microadjustable sights but the way that one is designed, nice. Kudos enjoy and good luck, looking forward to seeing you perform with it at the GTG.

Quick Reply: Where have you been all my life? Sword Apex Micro 3rd Plane review..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.