Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 My '05 PA Buck..(pic) >

My '05 PA Buck..(pic)

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

My '05 PA Buck..(pic)

Old 12-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My '05 PA Buck..(pic)

I GOT A BUCK!!! This is only my second buck, took my first last year with a bow, and now this guy w/ a ML.

I got lucky enough to be drawn for a special hunt on the Pymatuning Reservoir in a propagation area. My uncleand I took our muzzleloaders in on Thursday (12/22). Before daylight I had seen 25 deer cross the field. Then right after daylight, a single doe came out 40 yds infront of me. I had heard of a lot of big bucks roaming, so I was holding off for a buck in the morning. Five minutes later, a doe came by, followed by a buck. Since I only had one buck to my name, I decided he was good enough, and I prepared for the shot.

I thought I might have flinched a little at the shot, but was still pretty sure I hit him. Sure enough there was blood, so I began to track. About 60 yds in I jumped him from a bed. He was heading for a road 200 yds away, so I continued on and figured I'd stop at the road. 50 yds from the road, I saw him again. He spotted me, but was hurting too bad to move. He was facing straight away so I had no shot. Instead of moving in on him, and stress him out, I decided to just wait for him to pass by himself. 3 min later he laid his head down for the last time.

Due to the Q.A. angle, the .50 cal 350 gr Maxi-Hunter passed through the guts, took out one lung and the liver.

This was my first ML buck, and second overall with the flinter.

Old 12-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My '05 PA Buck..(pic)

More..

Old 12-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

They had actually seen this guy chasind does that week. Here's proof he was fighting. A hole in his ear!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

With all the bucks you say are running there, I would think that your buck would be subordinate at his age and refrain from chasing does. Just goes to prove that it isn't the size of a rack, but the attitude under it that counts. Great hunt and congrats to you. I am jealous..I am still waiting to get my first flinter buck.

Still dreaming I am
of that cloud of smoke
over the snowcovered ground
and the blood and buck
laying in the white.

I just wrote that poem!
Old 12-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: livbucks

With all the bucks you say are running there, I would think that your buck would be subordinate at his age and refrain from chasing does. Just goes to prove that it isn't the size of a rack, but the attitude under it that counts. Great hunt and congrats to you. I am jealous..I am still waiting to get my first flinter buck.

Still dreaming I am
of that cloud of smoke
over the snowcovered ground
and the blood and buck
laying in the white.

I just wrote that poem!
Yea, I was also surprised to learn that he was chasing does. I think it probably has something to do with that the fact that there are waaaay too many deer there.I think I saw close to 60 during theday, and my uncle saw closeto 75. The area is surroundedby SGL,so they all flockto this area oncerifle opens. Thenon the day that we hunt it, they all run back out...sometimes across the ice towards FordIsland.Other people whowere near the icesaid the first group to cross the ice had 35 deer in it!

Nice poem too!!!
Old 12-24-2005, 02:14 PM

Good job! Congrats!
Old 12-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your flinter Buck!!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Way to go with the flinter. That's a challange all in itself.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

Congrats! Way to go with the flinter. That's a challange all in itself.
Tell my uncle about that!!! He had terrible luck that day...missed the first 3 shots, and grazed the 4th.
-1 bad hang fire
-2 he plain missed (claims he was shooting over, due to 100 yd zero)
**kinda have to believe him, because I've seen him shoot...and he's good
-doesn't quite know what happened on the graze.

ALL DEER ARE ALIVE TO BE HUNTED ANOTHER DAY THOUGH.[&:]
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats. Nice deer.

Quick Reply: My '05 PA Buck..(pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.