Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowpress

Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowpress

Can anyone recommend a bow press for beginners. I don't need a high end ez press that is gonna cost me $500. I am looking for something lower then $150 preferably that can handle parallel limbs.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowpress

I don't have one yet but I've been looking at the bowmaster portable press. It looks like a really neat design for occasional use and they're only $39.99.

http://www.prototechind.com/

Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Do you think something like that will be ok for restringing a bow -- thats what I ultimately want to use it for.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

The Bowmaster is capable of doing anything that you will need to do on your bow, including removing/replacing the string and cables. Depending on the length of your limbs you may have some trouble if you want to completely disassemble your bow (limbs off) but that is a rare condition for most archers.

I have done a bunch of tuneups, string twisting and such using a bowmaster and have never had any trouble. It is not super fast, however it is capable.

One good addition is the split limb adapters, even for non split limb bows. It pulls on the limbs from the limb tips allowing more normal deflection when pressing.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I concur. Bowmaster is not the most sophisticated thing on the block, but it works very well. I'm on my second one in about 7 years. My firt one couldn't adjust short enough for these stupid short bows. Second one does the trick

Let it be known that I also have an Apple hydraulic that's not been used for at least 5 years. Bowmaster is as portable as they get and most of my tinkering and such is done outside at my archery club.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:14 AM
bigcountry

I have used the bowmaster for years in the field. A few things to note.

put a papertowel or rubber grommet where it connects to the inside of your limbs for a solid limb design or it will scratch up your limbs. Two, they don't work for beyond parallel, like the general. They can slip off. I have used them but carefully on these bows.

About the only press I trust for beyond parallel limbs is an apple with the hydraulic adapter.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

So would it work for the Marquis -- im not sure if its beyone //, i don't think it is
Old 11-28-2008, 11:41 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: FSUBIGMAC

So would it work for the Marquis -- im not sure if its beyone //, i don't think it is
When I say beyond parrallel, I mean split limb bows like the general, admial, etc. Your bow is not split limb. I have used it on a bowtech liberty, so I would say yes, it would work for a marquis.

For split limb bows, you have to buy a split limb adaptor. If it can slip off, you can't use it. Like with center pivot designs.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made my own based on the Bowmender design. I used 1.25" x .25" steel bar with 0.5" holes drilled through. Added a quality rachet strap and it presses everything - split limb or otherwise.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:12 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

I made my own based on the Bowmender design. I used 1.25" x .25" steel bar with 0.5" holes drilled through. Added a quality rachet strap and it presses everything - split limb or otherwise.
I sure wouldn't press acenter pivot designed bow. Youare onlysupposed to press the main ends of the limb on mostsplit limb center pivot bowtechs.

Quick Reply: Bowpress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.